CERRITOS – Four board members of a regional water district have extended a contract up to $7,500 per month for public relations with Cerrell and Associates without consulting their own staff. The board of the Water Replenishment District of Southern California voted 4-1 Wednesday to approve the contract retroactive to Dec. 1, 2005, through June 30. The same company and its employees made campaign contributions totaling $1,500 in 2004 to the four board members who voted for the contract, according to campaign finance records filed with the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s Office. Director Pat Acosta, the lone “no” vote, received no contributions. Board President Willard Murray said all the board was doing was keeping the company working with the district. “It’s an extension of a prior contract,” Murray said. “We’re anticipating a change in the scope of work. We’re still working all of that out.” Acosta questioned why the board was approving a contract for a company that hadn’t been evaluated by the staff and didn’t have a plan. “We’re voting on a contract that has no scope of work,” Acosta said. “I don’t know what it is,” she said. “I don’t understand why everything is so hidden. This is favoritism being done here. Is this the way we’re going to conduct our business?” Director Norm Ryan said the district won’t spend any money unless Cerrell actually does some work. For example, no work was done in December so the district won’t be billed for anything in that month, Ryan said. Cerrell and Associates during the last year has helped the district with its newsletter and set up meetings with local city council members. “Cerrell is very good at getting people to sit in the room with us,” Ryan said. Robb Whitaker, the district’s general manager, said the contract extension wasn’t brought to staff for consideration. However, with the vote, the staff will review how Cerrell and Associates could help the district, Whitaker said. “I don’t think we’ll have needs equal to $7,500 a month,” he said. “We know we have needs we can’t meet with our current resources.” Cerrell and Associates was founded in 1966 by political consultant Joe Cerrell and is a public affairs consulting company [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Hundreds of thousands of people opposed to Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union are marching through central London to demand a new Brexit referendum.Marchers set off in central London with banners proclaiming “the best deal is no Brexit” and “we demand a People’s Vote” in what organisers said could be the biggest anti-Brexit protest yet.While there was no official estimate of the numbers, campaign organisers said hundreds of thousands of people were in the crowd as it began to march. Organisers were confident that the size of the crowd would exceed a similar rally held in October when supporters said about 700,000 people turned up.Two hundred coaches from around Britain were booked to take people to London for the march.A petition to cancel Brexit altogether gained over four million signatures in just three days after British Prime Minister Theresa May told the public “I am on your side” over Brexit and urged MPs to get behind her deal.An online petition demanding the Government stops the Brexit process had topped four million signatures by this morning. Thousands attend Brexit referendum protest in London was last modified: March 23rd, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BrexitDonegal-Derry Borderhard border
Another hominid skull dubbed OL 45500 has been reported in Science,1 a juvenile said to belong to Homo erectus. Its classification is problematic because it exhibits a mosaic of features rather than fitting neatly into an evolutionary sequence. The scientists state, “Although the cranium represents possibly the smallest adult or near-adult known between 1.7 and 0.5 Ma [million years ago], it retains features observed in larger Homo erectus individuals, yet shows a distinct suite of traits indicative of wide population variation in the hominins of this period.” Commenting on this report, Jeffrey H. Schwartz in the same issue2 accepts their assessment, but satirizes the process of classifying ancient humans:But this doesn’t clarify the question, “What is H. erectus?” One is left primarily with the traditional approach to the genus Homo: H. erectus is not H. habilis, H. heidelbergensis, or H. sapiens, whatever they are.Schwartz calls Homo erectus a “mythical” classification after reviewing the differences between the finds lumped into the name. He ends, putting the name in quotes,Does this exercise clarify the affinities of the new hominid fossil OL 45500? Not yet. But recognizing that “Homo erectus” may be more a historical accident than a biological reality might lead to a better understanding of the relationships not only of the Olorgesailie specimens, but also of those fossils whose morphology clearly exceeds the bounds of individual variation so well documented in the Trinil/Sangiran sample. In the meantime, OL 45500 should remind us that hominid systematics must be an endeavor of testing long-entrenched hypotheses, especially when those who turn to these hypotheses acknowledge them as being problematic.For more on the controversy over this fossil, see New Scientist and BBC News.1Potts et al., “Small Mid-Pleistocene Hominin Associated with East African Acheulean Technology”, Science, Vol 305, Issue 5680, 75-78, 2 July 2004, [DOI: 10.1126/science.1097661].2Jeffrey H. Schwartz, “Getting to Know Homo erectus,” Science, Vol 305, Issue 5680, 53-54, 2 July 2004, [DOI: 10.1126/science.1099989].New alleged human ancestor overturns previous ideas, adds to the confusion, leads to controversy, spoils the Darwin Party’s story — there is nothing new under the sun. (See 02/27/2003 and 10/20/2003 headlines for more on Homo erectus.)(Visited 8 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
12 October 2012British companies based in South Africa have not been shaken by the ongoing strikes and the recent Marikana tragedy because they believe the country is a good place to invest in the long term, says UK Secretary of Business, Innovation and Skills Vince Cable.British companies make up over half the foreign direct investment (FDI) in South Africa.Cable was briefing the media in Parliament in Cape Town on Thursday following a meeting with Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies.Cable said British companies based in South Africa were “not fazed” by mining sector strikes, but rather considered the long-term perspective when they considered whether or not to remain in a country.SA fundamentals ‘attractive to investors’He said South Africa had a lot of “fundamentals that are attractive to investors”.“I think the assessment of serious investors here is that South Africa is an open economy and approaches foreign investment in a positive and welcoming way,” Cable told MPs. “The regime is a good one.”Cable was accompanied by a delegation of UK small and medium-sized firms and had visited UK company Bombardier, which supplied the Gautrain, while in the country.He said he believed there might be some developments for UK investments in the area of skills and apprentice training.Although value on inward investment had slowed, the number of projects had risen, and Cable said there had been rapid growth in trade between South Africa and the UK in recent months.Although trade has been more or less balanced, South African exports to the UK have recently declined, but Cable said the aim was to achieve balanced trade between the two countries.UK firms ‘considering a number of SA projects’Minister Davies, also briefing reporters, said UK companies were considering a number of projects in South Africa, including a number in business process outsourcing (BPO), which could potentially create as many as 4 000 jobs, as well as investments in the hospitality sector and a plastics manufacturing project.He said the 2015 target of doubling trade between SA and the UK looked unlikely to be met before 2016 and 2017, adding that his department would soon promote a list of value-added products to the UK.Commenting about the bulk wine issue, Davies said there were no environmental regulations in the World Trade Organisation (WTO) that made it mandatory for countries to ensure that carbon emissions were kept at the lowest possible level when goods were shipped between two countries.He said flying or shipping goods from one part of the earth to another did not necessary mean that the product necessarily had a higher carbon footprint than those manufactured locally.At times more emissions were emitted in manufacturing a product locally or when consumers had to drive many long distances to buy the product from retailers, he said.The bulk wine issue has cost South Africa about a 1 000 jobs in its bottling sector, because wine destined for the UK is now placed in plastic containers rather than bottles.Source: SANews.gov.za
DefinitionA strain is when a muscle is stretched too much and tears. It is also called a pulled muscle. A strain is a painful injury. It can be caused by an accident,overusing a muscle, or using a muscle inthe wrong way.Alternative NamesPulled muscleCausesA strain may be caused by:Too muchphysical activity or effortImproperly warming up before a physical activityPoor flexibilitySymptomsSymptoms of a strain can include:Pain and difficulty moving the injured muscleDiscolored and bruised skinSwellingFirst AidApply icerightawayto reduce swelling. Wrap the ice in cloth. Do not placeice directly on the skin. Apply ice for 10 to 15 minutes every 1 hour for the first day and every 3 to 4 hours after that.Use ice for the first 3 days. Either heat or ice may be helpful after that if you still have pain.Rest the pulled muscle for at least a day. If possible, keep the pulled muscle raised about your heart.Try not to use a strained muscle while it is still painful. When the pain starts to go away, you can slowly increase activity.When to get medical assistanceCall your local emergency number, such as 911, if:You are unable to move the muscle.The injury is bleeding.Call your health care provider if the pain does not go away after several weeks.PreventionThe following tips may help you reduce your risk of a strain:Warm-up properly before exercise and sports.Keep your muscles strong and flexible.ReferencesBiundo JJ. Bursitis, tendinitis, and other periarticular disorders and sports medicine. In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds. Goldman’s Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:chap 271.advertisementBrinker MR, O’Connor DP, Almekinders LC, et al. Physiology of Injury to Musculoskeletal Structures: 1. Muscle and Tendon Injury. In: DeLee JC, Drez D Jr, Miller MD, eds. DeLee and Drez’s Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2009:chap 1, section A.Review Date:4/13/2013Reviewed By:Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director and Director of Didactic Curriculum, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, Department of Family Medicine, UW Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington. Also reviewed by A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc., Editorial Team: David Zieve, MD, MHA, Bethanne Black, Stephanie Slon, and Nissi Wang.
TIger Woods put on another masterful putting display Friday, helping him shoot a 65 and earn a two-shot lead going into the weekend in the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral.Woods, who has won three times at Doral and has captured this World Golf Championship event six times, gave himself numerous chances with a solid ballstriking round in which he barely missed a green.His 7-under 65 gave him a two-shot lead over 2010 U.S. Open champion Graem McDowell and a three-shot lead over Phil Mickelson and Steve Stricker, his buddy who gave him putting tips that Woods attributes to his solid play with the flat stick so far.Woods has won 26 -of-31 times when he has the outright 36-hole lead in his PGA Tour career.On Wednesday, Stricker gave Woods some advice during a 45-minute session on the practice green, one that has led to two days of exceptional work.“I’ve always liked the way he putts it,” Stricker said. “We’ve talked a lot about it over the years. We have the same ideas, although we do different things to get it there. We have the same principles. He’s open to hearing what I have to say sometimes.”This time, it worked, as Woods made nine birdies Thursday and added eight more Friday. He has had 22 one-putt greens in the tournament, and on Friday he hit 15-of-18 greens in regulation.For a time, it appeared Mickelson would play his way into a third-round pairing with Woods, reprising their epic 2005 final-round duel here in which Woods prevailed by a stroke to regain the No. 1 world ranking.But McDowell had other ideas, birdieing his last two holes for a 67.“I saw Phil sneaking up the leaderboard there behind me, and I said to (caddie) Kenny (Comboy), ‘Let’s spoil this party tomorrow,’ ” McDowell said. “I’m sure they would have liked Tiger and Phil in the last group tomorrow, would have been great for the tournament, but I certainly will enjoy the position of being in the last group and the mix. That’s right where I want to be.“Great to see the best players in the game playing as well as they are. Always exciting to have Tiger and Phil playing well. It brings the crowds and puts people behind their TV screens, and that’s what’s important.”Mickelson has shot 67-67 after an early-week visit to Augusta National to scout the Masters venue.“I saw Tiger was playing well and I wanted to make a couple birdies to get in the group with him,” Mickelson said. “It seems since 2007, when we played at Deutsche Bank in Boston, I’ve been playing some of my best golf when we get paired together.“I hope that tomorrow that I play a good round and so does he, and we get a chance to get paired together in Sunday’s final round, because he seems to somehow bring out my best golf.”
Watford midfielder Roberto Pereyra says he’s expecting a tough test when Chelsea visit the Vicarage Road on Boxing Day.The Argentina international insists the Blues are a different team under the tutelage of Maurizio Sarri and he’s prepared for a high-intensity affair on Wednesday.“There are always a great team, especially with Sarri this season they have improved a lot,” said Pereyra, according to the club’s official website.“They have more intensity and possession in midfield. It will be a very tough game for us.”Pereyra scored the Hornets’ fourth goal in their 4-1 home win against Chelsea last season, with the Javi Gracia’s men scoring three after Eden Hazard leveled the scores at 1-1.The former Juventus player is well aware of the threat that the Belgian captain poses.Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.“The Premier League has lots of great players, and we need to be ready to face him,” said the midfielder.“We are aware of their strengths and we will be ready to face them.”“We are fully aware a couple of wins can send us high in the table, but also a couple of defeats can send us towards relegation zone.”“January and February is when everything is decided so we need to get points in these games.”
July 2, 2018 600 protestors organized by @ConMijente descend upon Downtown San Diego. Here is a snippet of the energy the crowd brought, marching from #ChicanoPark to Downtown #SanDiego. Details on @KUSINews at 6 &10 pic.twitter.com/6jKfSMim1v— Ashlie Rodriguez (@AshlieSanDiego) July 3, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News, Politics FacebookTwitter Updated: 8:32 PM 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Ten people were arrested during a protest today in downtown San Diego.Hundreds of people gathered there to protest against what they say are President Trump’s immigration policies when things began to get out of hand. KUSI’s Ashlie Rodriguez explains it began as a very large crowd, roughly 600 to 800 people showed up, many of whom were bussed in from other cities.At one point they locked arms and blocked the federal building. Then some repelled down the Westin Hotel next door, trying to hang a banner. It was chaotic she said, take a look for yourself.RELATED STORY: KUSI’s Dan Plante breaks down US Border Patrol’s “Operation Streamline” Ed Lenderman, Ashlie Rodriguez, Posted: July 2, 2018 10 arrested at “Free Our Future” immigration protest The protestors are upset because 2,000 immigrant children are still being detained at the border and have not been reunited with their family members. They are also calling for the #TrumpAdministration to abolish #ICE pic.twitter.com/ZhIlDWIqX5— Ashlie Rodriguez (@AshlieSanDiego) July 3, 2018 10 PEOPLE ARRESTED: 600 protestors organized by @ConMijente descend upon Downtown #SanDiego. This is video of just a few of the protestors who were arrested for trespassing, conspiracy and obstruction, after hanging a banner on the @WestinSanDiego . Details on @KUSINews at 6&10 pic.twitter.com/Y2OItnM6fA— Ashlie Rodriguez (@AshlieSanDiego) July 3, 2018 Ed Lenderman, Ashlie Rodriguez