NewsCrime & CourtConcern in Limerick over Ballyhahill shootingBy Alan Jacques – June 12, 2014 841 Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Twitter TAGSAdare-Rathkeale municipal districtBallyhahillCllr Emmett O’BrienlimerickNewcastle West Gardai Linkedin Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Advertisement Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories WhatsApp Email Cllr Emmett O’BrienA SHOOTING incident in the village of Ballyhahill last week has increased the growing sense of fear and isolation within the local community, according to a local public representative.Gardai in Newcastle West are investigating an incident last Friday morning when a volley of shots was discharged at a house in the village. No one was injured and it is understood the house may have been unoccupied at the time.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Independent councillor for the Rathkeale-Adare area, Emmett O’Brien described the incident as alarming and says it comes only weeks after he called for a sergeant to be assigned to Askeaton Garda Station.“This incident only increases the growing sense of fear and isolation that people feel in this constituency and we need quick and decisive action from the government to give the Gardaí more resources.“The local Gardai are doing their best with limited resources but not having a permanent and highly visible presence is having profound social consequences for the people of Askeaton, Foynes and Ballyhahill,” he said.He says that increased patrol hours and increased Garda visibility is needed in communities across County Limerick.“This will not only give comfort to the locals but will also give solid support to local Gardai who are working so hard to prevent crime,” he suggested.Witnesses to the shooting should contact Newcastle West Gardaí on 061-20650. Facebook Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Print WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Previous articleNew Limerick councillors show their word is goodNext articleHorslips to play Limerick Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR
October 15, 2018 /Sports News – Local Utah State Football Continues Season Saturday at Wyoming Written by Brad James FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailLARAMIE, Wyo.-Saturday, Utah State football ensues in its successful season by visiting Wyoming in a Mountain West Conference road game.The series between the Aggies and Cowboys dates back to 1903 while USU leads the all-time series 38-26-4. The Aggies have won four out of the last six games in this series.The Aggies, who routed UNLV 59-28 Saturday, received 38 votes in The Associated Press poll and 33 in the coaches poll on Sunday.Utah State, at 5-1, is off to its best start since 1978 and the Aggies seek their first 6-1 start since 1974.A win at War Memorial Stadium Saturday also gives Utah State a 3-0 start in conference play for the second time, with the first coming in 2015.A victory against the Cowboys also makes the Aggies bowl eligible for the seventh time in the past eight seasons.Since joining the Mountain West in 2013, the Aggies are 25-17 (.595) all-time in conference play and 10-10 on the road.The Aggies’ explosive offense is averaging 55.8 points and 505.6 yards per game during its current five-game winning streak as well. Overall, on the season, the Aggies are averaging 51.7 points per game.The Aggies and Cowboys are vying for the “Bridger Rifle,” a .50 caliber Rocky Mountain Hawken rifle as they compete in “Bridger’s Battle,” named for famed Wyoming/Utah mountain man Jim Bridger. Tags: Bridger Rifle/Jim Bridger/Mountain West/The Associated Press/Utah State Football/War Memorial Stadium/Wyoming Football
Arsenal unwilling to meet Barcelona’s loan demands for Philippe Coutinho Comment Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterThursday 28 May 2020 11:51 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link10.4kShares Advertisement Barcelona are demanding a £10 million loan fee for Philippe Coutinho (Getty Images)The report claims that Barcelona are demanding a £10m loan fee and are asking clubs to fully cover the 27-year-old’s £250,000-a-week salary.AdvertisementAdvertisementHowever, both Arsenal and Manchester United are not willing to meet Barcelona’s terms.Speaking earlier this month, Joorabchian claimed he had not yet received an approach for Coutinho.‘At the moment, we have not spoken to anybody about any deals whatsoever,’ Joorabchian told talkSPORT.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘I think at the moment everyone’s concentration is regarding this pandemic and how football can restart the season in a secure environment and over the health and safety of everybody.‘I think the transfer side of things and where he will go or where people will go will come into play down the line when things have got back to some sort of normality.’Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page. Arsenal have been offered the chance to sign Philippe Coutinho (Getty Images)Arsenal have rejected Barcelona’s initial offer to sign Philippe Coutinho on loan, according to reports.The Brazil international has spent the season on loan at Bayern Munich but the Bundesliga champions are not looking to make his move permanent for €120 million (£105m).Coutinho is one of several players Barcelona are willing to offload in the next transfer window and the Spanish club are already looking for potential suitors.Earlier this week, reports claimed that Arsenal are preparing talks with Kia Joorabchian, the agent who is in place to engineer the midfielder’s switch to the Premier League.ADVERTISEMENTBut according to ESPN, while Barcelona have offered Arsenal the chance to sign Coutinho, the Gunners are not in a position to accept the terms of the agreement.
… New date for BCB elections in the makingWITH new elections for the Berbice Cricket Board (BCB) forthcoming, former president Dhierandranauth Somwaru says he still has interest for the game in the Ancient County.Somwaru made the disclosure yesterday, adding that he will once again run for president of the BCB.“Berbice cricket is still close to me, and while our programme is hindered somewhat by the court action and weather, the interest is still at heart,” Somwaru said.He added, “As a former national and regional umpire, I want to give back to the game because the game has given me a lot. The love for the game is still there, so yea, definitely, I will run for president again”.Asked whether there will be any changes to his slate for the upcoming elections, Somwaru, who is the president of the Guyana Cricket Umpires Council (GCUC) said, there is some possibility, taking into consideration the reform structure to the Upper Corentyne Cricket Association (UCCA).Imtiaz Bacchus, David Black and Winston Roberts were elected as the three vice-presidents while Vickram Seubarran (secretary), Carol Nurse (assistant secretary), Godwyn Allicock (treasurer) and Leslie Solomon (assistant treasurer) were the other executives elected at the contentious October elections. Black and Bacchus are the BCB’s representatives at the national level.High Court Judge, Navindra Singh, had ordered a new election on December 18 after the election of office-bearers of the Berbice Cricket Board at its annual general meeting and elections in October was declared “unlawful, null, void, and of no legal effect as the entire election process was fundamentally flawed, unfair and undemocratic.”The judge had said that the new elections will be held this January on a date to be fixed by him.High Court Judge Navindra SinghThe case had been filed by the Guymine Sports Club, the Fort Canje Hospital Club and the Mount Sinai Cricket Club; who all argued that the elections were null and void because it contravened Schedule III of the Guyana Cricket Administration Act.The applicants are of the opinion that the entire election process had been “fundamentally flawed, unfair and undemocratic,” and that the office-bearers could not have been properly elected.The respondents were successful in seeking a declaration that their exclusion, as well as that of the Rose Hall Community Centre and the Kildonan Cricket Clubs, from the elections, also violated Schedule III of the Guyana Cricket Administration Act.Among the more than 20 grounds on which their application was drawn, the respondents sought a declaration that the attendance, voting and participation of persons purporting to represent them were unlawful and contrary to Act.Amid the number of declarations also being sought by the applicants was for the court to pronounce unlawful (which it did) the purported nomination of Drubahadur as Returning Officer for the said elections.The applicants had argued that his nomination was not put to a vote of the member-clubs present at the said elections.The court further declared that the decision by Drubahadur to close nominations for the post of President of the Berbice Cricket Board, immediately after Dhierandranauth Somwaru was nominated, was “manifestly unfair, thereby rendering the election process undemocratic and against the rules of fairness.”A further declaration was made that Drubahadur’s refusal to accept other nominations for the post of President was also unfair.In his ruling, Justice Singh ordered that a list of all eligible representatives of the clubs and associations listed in Schedule III, Section 4 of the Act, be submitted to the court by today.It was also ordered that the representatives to be submitted to the court shall, after verification and approval by the court, be the delegates who will represent the clubs and associations in the new election for office-bearers.Additionally, the judge has ordered all clubs and associations intending to participate in the next elections, to pay their annual dues no later than January 16.Justice Singh has noted that his orders are not intended, and should not be construed as hindering, or affecting the general administration of cricket in the County of Berbice, pending new elections.
Riley Donahue cut through the middle of Loyola’s defense, caught a pass and fired a shot from point-blank range that clanked off the right post.Syracuse head coach Gary Gait, standing nearly level with the Loyola goal on SU’s sideline, let out a sigh and walked back toward the rest of the Syracuse bench.SU attack Kayla Treanor had just scored twice in 31 seconds to bring the Orange within a goal of Loyola with just three minutes left in the game and Donahue’s chance could have tied the score with only two minutes remaining.“She’s just a freshman and it’s tough getting that shot and putting it in,” Gait said. “We had multiple other players that had opportunities earlier and just didn’t get the job done.”Syracuse’s first half was plagued by poor shooting and missed opportunities. The Orange scored just two goals in the first half and finished the game with only eight goals on 32 shots. SU mounted a comeback, scoring six goals in the second half, but it was too late and the No. 2 Orange (14-7, 3-4 Atlantic Coast) fell to the No. 14 Greyhounds (15-4, 8-0 Patriot), 9-8, at SU Soccer Stadium on Saturday in front of a crowd of 1,022.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“We were just playing a little lethargic,” Gait said. “When we shoot high-to-high and we shoot from the outside, we shoot poorly and those are the games we’ve lost throughout the year.”Syracuse dominated the possession at the beginning of the game, but its offense struggled to find the back of the net.Attack Halle Majorana had a goal called off for being in the crease and attack Kailah Kempney sent a sidearm shot wide from eight meters away that rolled up the hill behind the net.In one possession, midfielder Erica Bodt shot wide and then high on two chances cutting through the middle, before throwing her head back in frustration.Attack Devon Collins scored the Orange’s first goal quickly after Bodt’s missed shots, but it came with nearly 14 minutes gone in the half — the latest SU has scored all season.“Having off days, that happens,” Bodt said. “… we just have to focus on our fakes and finishing the shots.”Gait yelled to his players to spread out and move around on offense, constantly telling his midfielders behind him on the sideline to stop watching the ball.But only two of SU’s 14 shots in the first half went for goals and the Orange went into the break trailing, 4-2.Midway through the second half SU fell behind, 8-4, but with about 11 minutes left it seemed as though Majorana had scored SU’s third goal in a row to bring it within one.She dodged toward the crease and found the back of the net while crashing to the ground, but for the third time of the game, her goal was called off for being in the crease.Majorana got up and ran toward the referee, screaming and waving her arms. SU midfielder Gabby Jaquith intercepted Majorana on her path to the official and pulled her away. “What do you want?” Majorana yelled to someone as she walked to the bench.“It’s definitely frustrating,” Majorana said. “Definitely a mental lapse on my part.”Loyola scored on its ensuing possession, but Treanor scored twice while Majorana watched on the sideline to make it a one-goal game. SU managed one final chance on Donahue’s shot, but she wasn’t able to tie the game.The Greyhounds held the ball until the final seconds ticked off the clock.Loyola goalie Molly Wolf threw her gloves to the ground, screaming, “Let’s go,” as her teammates charged toward her.“We talked a good game about it being a playoff type game for seeding and going into the playoffs the right way,” Gait said. “Unfortunately, we weren’t up to the task today.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on May 2, 2015 at 5:59 pm Contact Jon: [email protected] | @jmettus