This past weekend, parents of Notre Dame juniors flooded campus for Junior Parents Weekend (JPW), a deep-rooted tradition in the Notre Dame community that has taken place annually ever since the first “Parent-Son Day” was held in 1953.The weekend kicked off with a gala Friday night in the Duncan Student Center, which featured music, food, dancing, cash bars and opportunities for photographs and caricature drawings. Saturday’s events included academic programs, Mass and the President’s dinner. The weekend concluded with a brunch Sunday in the Dahnke Ballroom. Sophia Lauber | The Observer Juniors and their parents eat at a brunch Sunday, which culminated the Junior Parents Weekend festivities.This year was the second year that the Duncan Student Center was available for use for the event, so, while JPW executive chair junior Eric Kim said that the committee followed a lot of precedents established last year, there were also a few changes made to the gala — the biggest of these changes being the decision to expand the opening gala to Corbett Family Hall.“I believe that student activities and division of student affairs will do this again,” Kim said. “It definitely eased the traffic that Duncan had last year and improved the crowd control.”Another notable change was the addition of more cash bars at the gala, a development that was implemented in response to complaints about the lengths of lines from last year.With the improved flow of crowds, Friday night went smoothly, except for a small incident with an elevator that got stuck. Kim said while he did not know the details of what happened, he saw a large group of people exiting the elevator shouting with excitement.“Someone told me they were stuck for an hour and 15 minutes or so,” he said. “It must’ve been claustrophobic. Hopefully they made some good memories.”Overall, Kim said that he believes the weekend is an “opportunity for junior parents to explore our spiritual, academic and social lifestyle here at Notre Dame.”The academic programs that took place Saturday morning gave parents an opportunity to experience their students’ academic lifestyle within the University, especially those in the College of Arts and Letters, junior Shady Girgis said in an email.“I hope the parents that attended the Arts and Letters program got a good idea of what a true liberal arts education at Notre Dame looks like,” Girgis said. “Also, I hope they realize the absolutely open world their children can explore upon graduation with the mentorship and guidance of the incredible faculty we have in the College of Arts and Letters.”Another goal of this year’s committee was to carry on the efforts of last year’s committee to make the weekend’s events affordable for more juniors, Kim said.“Our main goal was to establish more publicity with the Office of Student Enrichment, so in every email that we sent out before tickets sales, we incorporated the idea that financial assistance is available for students that are in need of it and that do want the assistance,” he said.Kim said he believes this year’s committee was successful in increasing the number of students who applied for assistance.Junior Takunda Ushe said he was originally not planning on having his parents attend JPW until his rector reached out to him and encouraged him to look into financial assistance. With the help of the Office of Student Enrichment, Ushe was able to have both his local host mom and his parents from South Africa attend JPW. Ushe said the weekend was a big deal for both him and his parents, who have never been to Notre Dame or the United States before.“I think I navigate between two worlds — my life before Notre Dame and my life at Notre Dame,” Ushe said. “To have those two worlds come together is just like everything coming full circle for me. It still feels surreal. I would never think that I would have my parents walking down in front of the grotto or the main building. It’s just unthinkable.”The weekend offered Ushe and many other junior students the opportunity to share with their parents the aspects of Notre Dame’s community that cannot fully be expressed in words, Ushe said.“No one has told them about the whole educating not just the mind but also the soul — they just saw that for themselves,” Ushe said.Tags: JPW, Junior Parents Weekend, Office of Student Enrichment
In an internal memo leaked to the Associated Press and first reported by the Wall Street Journal, Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke recommended that President Donald Trump shrink the boundaries of at least six of the 27 national monuments that the Department began reviewing back in April.The recommended monuments include two in the state of Utah—Bears Ear and Grand Staircase Escalante, one in Nevada—Gold Butte, one in Oregon—Cascade-Siskiyou, and two in New Mexico—Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks and Rio Grande Del Norte.The review also recommends a reduction in size to multiple marine monuments in the Pacific Ocean and proposes opening the first marine monument in the Atlantic Ocean to commercial fishing.In addition to shrinking the boundaries of monuments, Zinke’s recommendations will open some of them up to previously prohibited extraction activities. This includes the canyons of Utah’s Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, which—according to a report from the Interior Department—contain “an estimated several billion tons of oil and large oil deposits”, and Maine’s Khatadin Woods and Waters National Monument, where Zinke is seeking to implement an active timber management program.Zinke also proposed adding 130,000 acres of the Lewis and Clark National Forest in Montana known as the Badger-Two Medicine to the national monuments list, citing the region’s importance to the Black Feet Nation.Since assuming the helm of the Department of the Interior, Ryan Zinke, a former Senator and Navy SEAL from Montana, has styled himself an advocate and proponent of public lands in the vein of Teddy Roosevelt, but his recent recommendations have conservationists worried that his tenure could ultimately compromise Roosevelt’s public lands legacy.“The recommendations within Secretary Ryan Zinke‘s National Monument Review could negatively impact key fish & wildlife habitat, reduce outdoor opportunities, and undermine the Antiquities Act that has enabled the long-term protection of millions of acres,” read a statement released back in August by Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, a conservation organization out of Missoula Montana.The Antiquities Act, which was signed into law by Roosevelt himself in 1906, affords presidents the legal authority to designate national monuments, but many argue that it does not give the executive branch the power to alter or rescind previous designations—as Trump and Zinke are now clearly attempting to do.“Any actions that would dismantle these natural wonders would violate Americans’ deep and abiding love for parks and public lands and fly in the face of 2.8 million Americans who expressed opposition to these changes,” said President of the Wilderness Society, Jamie Williams in a statement posted to the organization’s website. “We and millions of other Americans stand by the belief that those lands should be preserved and handed down to future generations. We urge President Trump to ignore these illegal and dangerous recommendations and instead act to preserve these beloved places.”For his part, Donald Trump has expressed disdain for the size and amount of national monuments declared by his previous three predecessors, calling the designations a “massive federal land grab” during an executive order signing at the Department of Interior back in April.“It’s time to end these abuses and return control to the people, the people of Utah, the people of all of the states, the people of the United States,” Trump went on to say.Stay tuned as we continue to cover this important and ongoing public lands issue.
‘Better for Bettors’: Better Collective’s formalised approach to sustainable development June 15, 2020 Share Wayne Rooney speaks from experience to support 32Red’s ‘Know Your Limits’ campaign April 8, 2020 StumbleUpon Related Articles Submit Share Better Collective moves fast to mitigate COVID-19 as esports journey begins May 15, 2020 With just four weeks to go in the Tipster Challenge 2016/17, sponsored by Betting Gods, Gerry Murray is the latest expert to challenge AppBet’s Sarah Shannon for top spot.The Director of Brand & Acquisition for 32Red, the operator subject to an outright cash offer from Kindred Group, has provided expert tips for today’s seven race card at Wincanton.In Grand National week, Murray will be testing his mettle against sixth placed Stephen Harris, the horse racing guru from bettingexpert, and the experts from Timeform in 16th.____________________________________1:50bettingexpert: Cousin KheeRan well in a big field at Doncaster and comes here freshened up after two months off the track.Timeform: Mr FickleTook advantage of the handicapper’s mercy when scoring by 11 lengths at Plumpton last week, and it’s feasible to think he can strike under a penalty granted similarly aggressive tactics.32Red: Mr FickleThis was between Gulshanigans and Mr Fickle, but I’ll take the trainer in better form the past few weeks and horse with a decent recent win at Plumpton.____________________________________2:20bettingexpert: Dance Floor KingA model of consistency with good form over this course and distance in the book.Timeform: Comeonginger12lb below his last winning mark and hails from a yard in very good form.32Red: Lou VertTwo respectable second place finishes recently and looks like the longer trip will be beneficial.____________________________________2:50bettingexpert: Listen To The ManComes from the red-hot Skelton yard and shaped better than the bare form on his recent handicap debut.Timeform: Innocent GirlHas done nothing but improve since joining Harry Fry, making it four wins from her last six starts over fences at Taunton recently.32Red: Innocent GirlStable in decent form and last week’s win at Taunton suggests the winter break hasn’t done any harm.____________________________________3:20bettingexpert: Thumb Stone BluesProgressing nicely and has far more potential than his only serious market rival.Timeform: Thumb Stone BluesNot much to choose between him, Solighoster and Anchor Man on their best form but he is preferred after an easy win at Doncaster last month.32Red: Anchor ManYou should ignore the last outing at Market Rasen, but with a bit of weight in hand he could be well placed to bounce back.____________________________________3:55bettingexpert: Arctic LadyHated deep ground when finishing tailed off on her chase debut and much better is expected here stepping up in trip.Timeform: Butlergrove KingWasn’t seen to best effect when well backed at Stratford last time and is worth another chance in first-time headgear having eased another 4lb.32Red: Butlergrove KingNot a particularly confident pick, as he seems to like being beaten as favourite, but good ground should help.____________________________________4:25bettingexpert: Mon ParrainHe has a touch of class in hunter chases and will relish the decent ground at this speed based track.Timeform: Mon ParrainMon Parrain and Toby Lerone have established themselves as high-end hunter chase performers this term and can be expected to fight this out, with a 4lb concession enough to tilt the balance towards the former.32Red: ThereyarseeTaking a chance on potential here, but with five wins from 11 starts, there would appear to be some talent there.____________________________________4:55bettingexpert: Shall We Go NowBred to be useful and can make a winning debut for the excellent Harry Fry.Timeform: Diamond GuyPlenty of leading yards are represented, with Diamond Guy a very likely sort on paper.32Red: Diamond GuyClose your eyes and pick a number here with not much to base a selection off. Diamond Guy gets the nod as Nicholls’ horses have form in the race.____________________________________Where will Gerry Murray enter on the Tipster Challenge leaderboard? 1Sarah Shannon – AppBet313.69 2Alan Alger – Betway311.41 3Jacob Johns – Easyodds37.72 4Phillip Anderson – Before The Off36.17 5Ciaran O’Brien – William Hill35.29 6bettingexpert1.614.63 7Ben Cleminson – Square in the Air14.50 8John Hill – Coral24.25 9Alex Donohue – Ladbrokes24.11 10Michael Shinners – Sky Bet24.00 11Stuart Tilly – Argyll Entertainment14.00 12Darren Moore – Betting Gods23.66 13Conor White – BetBright33.62 14Trevor Keane – Sportego23.50 15Harry Lang – Pinnacle13.50 16Timeform1.873.36 17Matthew Hulmes – Betfred23.25 18Paddy Power13.00 19Russell Yershon11.88 20Edward Rycroft – LeoVegas21.82 21Charlie McCann – BetVictor11.75 22Stephen Power – @racingblogger21.69 23John Cruces – Dafabet11.25 24Michael Whittle – Team FA10.91 25Ed Nicholson – Unibet10.73 RankTipsterRace WinsPoints
High Court drama…threatens to sue if apology not publishedFollowing up on threats made last week to sue two local newspapers, Attorney General Basil Williams has sent a lawyer’s letter to Guyana Times indicating that the company should make a monetary settlement within a week, or face legal proceedings for libel. The letter, dated March 29, 2017, is addressed to the publisher of the company, was sent by Attorneys-at-Law Michael Somersall and Hewley Griffith, and was received on Friday, March 31. Notably, one of the lawyers retained by the Attorney General, Somersall, is one of the six special prosecutors reserved by the State, and he has issued fiats to prosecute a number of high profile matters being pursued by the Coalition Government.The lawyer’s letter referred to an article published on page 14 of the Guyana Times of Friday, March 24, 2017 under the headline “Judge walks off after threats from AG Williams”. That article, the attorneys say, contain certain libellous statements concerning their client. The article was written following an exchange between the Attorney General and High Court Judge Justice Franklin Holder on March 23. That exchange had caused the judge to storm out of the courtroom without adjourning the proceedings that were before him. The legal document sent to this publication contained snippets from the article, including: “the cross examination was coming to end, a frustrated Williams accused the Judge of not accurately recording the evidence, and Justice Holder took umbrage (at) the accusation…” and “…an angry Williams, in a loud tone of voice, repeated the accusation and the Judge again admonished him about the accusation and about his tone of voice…but Williams then blurted out loudly, “the last Magistrate who did that to me was later found dead””.The AG’s lawyers contend that those words are clear imputations and references that his client engages in criminal activities and conduct, and that he is a person without character (and) integrity, and (is) unfit to hold any public office.“You are fully aware that our client, Mr Williams, (is) the Honourable Attorney General of Guyana, Minister of Legal Affairs, Senior Counsel, Member of Parliament, Chairman of the People’s National Congress, his political party, and a prominent citizen in Guyana, the Caribbean and worldwide, and as a result of your aforesaid libel of our client, he (has) suffered humiliation, hurt and shame, and has been held up to public odium and ridicule both nationally and internationally…” the letter sent to Guyana Times outlined.“…in the circumstances, therefore, unless you do pay him damages to be donated to a named charity for the aforesaid libel, sign a written apology and undertaking not to repeat the same libel or any similar defamatory statements of and concerning him in the future, we shall have no alternative than to commence, on his behalf, legal proceedings against you in the High Court of the Supreme Court of Judicature without any further notice, in order to vindicate his good name and character. You are given (7) seven days within which to effect a settlement in this claim, if you wish to do so, failing which a Writ will be filed against you in the High Court without further notice.”This move by AG Williams comes on the heels of the incident between himself and the High Court Judge being looked into by the Judiciary. In fact, newly sworn-in acting Chancellor of the Judiciary, Justice Yonette Cummings-Edwards, had told this newspaper earlier this week that she is in receipt of information on the matter, and the issue is currently being “addressed”.Moreover, President David Granger on Thursday told reporters that he has asked Williams to formally give a detailed explanation of what transpired, and he noted that the Attorney General has since submitted his explanation.“The Attorney General has responded. I have asked for an explanation of the matters which were reported to me, and when I have that opportunity, I will respond to him and the Chancellor of the Judiciary,” he stated.President Granger has indicated to reporters that he is confident the matter would be resolved after hearing from all the parties involved in the matter.“You know (that) in law there is a principle of (hearing) the other side, so you mustn’t jump to conclusions. So I want to hear both sides. We’ve heard one side in the media, and I’ve asked the Attorney General for his side,” the Head of State noted.The day after the incident, Justice Holder formally complained to the acting Chancellor of the Judiciary that he had abruptly walked out of the courtroom last Thursday because of statements made by the Attorney General. He quoted the AG as saying, “I could say what I want to say and however I want to say it. I have always been like that.”The High Court judge said in his complaint that he felt disrespected by the Attorney General’s behaviour, and has called for an apology in open court.However, Williams is holding out that he is not to be blamed for causing the High Court judge to walk out of the courtroom. He has also insisted that his comment was not a threat.