NewsCrime & CourtConcern in Limerick over Ballyhahill shootingBy Alan Jacques – June 12, 2014 841 Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Twitter TAGSAdare-Rathkeale municipal districtBallyhahillCllr Emmett O’BrienlimerickNewcastle West Gardai Linkedin Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Advertisement Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories WhatsApp Email Cllr Emmett O’BrienA SHOOTING incident in the village of Ballyhahill last week has increased the growing sense of fear and isolation within the local community, according to a local public representative.Gardai in Newcastle West are investigating an incident last Friday morning when a volley of shots was discharged at a house in the village. No one was injured and it is understood the house may have been unoccupied at the time.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Independent councillor for the Rathkeale-Adare area, Emmett O’Brien described the incident as alarming and says it comes only weeks after he called for a sergeant to be assigned to Askeaton Garda Station.“This incident only increases the growing sense of fear and isolation that people feel in this constituency and we need quick and decisive action from the government to give the Gardaí more resources.“The local Gardai are doing their best with limited resources but not having a permanent and highly visible presence is having profound social consequences for the people of Askeaton, Foynes and Ballyhahill,” he said.He says that increased patrol hours and increased Garda visibility is needed in communities across County Limerick.“This will not only give comfort to the locals but will also give solid support to local Gardai who are working so hard to prevent crime,” he suggested.Witnesses to the shooting should contact Newcastle West Gardaí on 061-20650. Facebook Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Print WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Previous articleNew Limerick councillors show their word is goodNext articleHorslips to play Limerick Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR
Junior wide receiver Michael Pittman runs down the field during spring practice. (Josh Dunst/Daily Trojan) There are a handful of players who seem to have made strides from where they were last year and look poised to step up for the Trojans. Freshman defensive back Britton Allen has shown promise, offering impressive tenacity in the secondary with a penchant for stripping out the ball. Sophomore Devon Williams has been putting together his unique combination of top-end speed and incredible length at 6-foot-4 to become a dangerous receiving weapon. Besides tangible changes to the team’s offensive strategy, there’s been a concerted effort to change elements of the team philosophy as a whole with toughness and discipline at its core. The team as realized it needs to work on accountability after a 2018 season that saw them average almost 14 penalties per game, and the coaching staff is determined not to let that happen again. Former offensive coordinator Tee Martin has been replaced by former University of North Texas head coach Graham Harrell. Harrell brings with him the dynamic air-raid offense; a system that’s spread quickly across the college football landscape in recent years, yet has never appearing at USC until now. The Trojans have long maintained a traditional pro-style offense, built on deep drops from under center, long developing routes and multi-level reads. The air-raid, on the other hand, emphasizes stretching the field both horizontally and vertically, generally putting the quarterback in a shotgun alignment and allowing him to make quick and often simple reads. There are now live referees throwing flags on any penalties at every practice. It’s already seemed to have paid rapid dividends, as there’s been a noticeable drop in violations since the first day of practice. Whether or not it carries over to real games will remain to be seen, but it’s a promising start. Two weeks into Spring Football, it’s already clear that the Trojans will be doing things very differently this year. Looking to bounce back from their worst season in 19 years, head coach Clay Helton and his staff have are shaking things up across the board. The system encourages simplicity from players across the formation, allowing them to focus more directly on executing individual tasks without needing to process the entirety of the play. Multiple players have mentioned that the simplicity of the air raid allows them to “play fast,” relieving them of the weight of processing too many moving parts during each play. That difference has shown on the field, with the offense running a surprisingly high number of offensive plays in practice for this early in the offseason. Although a two-week sample size isn’t much to work with, a number of players already seem to be ready to serve as key contributors for the upcoming season. Some are unsurprising — veteran receivers Tyler Vaughns and Michael Pittman, linebacker John Houston and defensive tackle Jay Tufele have all shown up to work, picking up from where they left off. The shift to the air raid has been evident in almost every aspect of practice so far. There’s been an emphasis on letting the offense just run, even this early into training without the absorption of an entire pro-style playbook. Redshirt junior receiver Tyler Vaughns, now one of the team’s upperclassmen, commented on the benefits of that fact. Some of last year’s impact freshman also seem to be in their stride — linebacker Palaie Gaoteote has remained a standout and receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown has been as consistent as ever. Talanoa Hufanga had been looking even better at safety than he did last year, though an injury in Saturday’s practice makes his future status unclear. Hufanga had a fantastic freshman season until a collarbone injury took him out for the year. The same injury that seems to have been re-aggravated despite his non-contact designation in practice. “We’re getting more live reps which I like,” Vaughns said. “We’re getting more team reps and everything like that, so it’s really helping us as an offense.” Two sophomores who played a very limited role last year have stepped up in these two weeks. Running back Markese Stepp, buried on the depth chart for most of last year, has been a force on the practice field. Stepp is a runaway freight train at 235 pounds, bulldozing defenders with regularity. With the sidelining of Stephen Carr and Vavae Malepeai to the flu, Stepp has received many first team reps and shown showing ability to catch the ball out of the backfield along with being a punishing runner. On the other side of the ball, sophomore cornerback Isaac Taylor-Stuart missed most of last season due to injury after playing mostly special teams early in the year, never receiving an opportunity to play real game snaps on defense. Taylor-Stuart is tremendously gifted as an athlete, with blazing speed to go with his impressive frame of 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, but his lack of refined technique held him back in the early stages of his freshman year. However, he’s become one of the first-string corners and his continued improvement could be one of the most important factors in the success of the Trojan defense come fall.
Sumner Newscow report â€” The Wellington girls tennis team were victors of a very competitive season opening tennis tournament at Sellers Park. Take a look at these team scores:Wellington Â Â 16Buhler Â Â 15Goddard Eisenhower Â 15Conway Springs Â Â 14.It doesn’t get much closer than that.In No. 2 singles, player Madison Lewellen led the way going 3-0 on the day – good for first place. Â Lewellen only gave up three games on the day. Â “I think Madison surprised herself a little bit,” said Brian Aufdengarten, Wellington High School girls tennis coach. “Her experience showed today.” Â Newcomers Lauryn Snipes and Avery Rusk finished second at No. 2 doubles losing only one match to Goddard Eisenhower 8-6. Â ‘These two will get better,” Aufdengarten said. “They haven’t even picked a racquet up in two or three years.” Abby Lowe played No. 1 singles and did very well, placing third. Â ‘Her first opponent was a 5a state qualifier from last year and she lost 8-1,” Aufdengarten said.Lowe bounced back and beat Buhler 8-4, before losing a close match 8-6 to Ebenkamp from Conway Springs, who placed 12th at state. “Abby did well and battled hard for her first meet of the year,” Aufdengarten said. The No. 1 doubles team of Mekenna Adams and Kylie Aufdengarten took third also. Â They beat Goddard Eisenhower, then lost to a good Buhler team. Â “Nachtigal from Buhler hasn’t finished out of the top four in the past three years and was a state champ in 2014,” Aufdengarten said. In their final match they lost to Koch and Bellar from Conway Springs 8-5. Â “They wanted that one back,” Aufdengarten said. “They didn’t play consistent and was tied 5-5 before dropping last three games. Â Bellar placed sixth at state in singles and Koch finished third in doubles last season.”Aufdengarten continued: I’m excited to win the tournament, everyone did their job, every match counted. Â We Â haven’t won this tournament outright since 2012, so this was a nice surprise, with some good teams here.