Three journalists forced to flee

first_img Receive email alerts April 25, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Three journalists forced to flee ColombiaAmericas April 27, 2021 Find out more News Organisation Follow the news on Colombia News News 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies to go furthercenter_img Reports Reporters Without Borders expresses deep concern over threats by armed groups that compelled three community journalists to flee their towns. These events occurred amid a worsening climate of intimidation for Colombia’s community journalists.Dionisia Morales, a host on Briceño Estéreo, a community radio station in Briceño, in the north-western department of Antioquia, received death threats on 14 April. These came in the form of calls and messages to her mobile phone from a member of the Autodefensas Gaitanistas, a paramilitary “self-defence” organization.The caller ordered Morales to leave the city immediately. She is now in the departmental capital of Medellín. Morales said she did not understand the motive for the threats, because the station had halted political coverage last year.Edilberto Agudelo, Morales’ husband, the director of the same radio station, had been forced to leave Briceño on 13 December of last year after receiving threats. These followed his reporting on ties between criminal gangs and public employees in the region. Those threats are what led the station to halt political reporting.Jesús Antonio Pareja, a host on La Voz de la Tierra, a community radio station in Roncesvalles in the west-central department of Tolima, was threatened with death by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC). A member of the guerrilla group told Pareja in a phone call on 9 April that he had become a target because the radio station broadcast public-service announcements on behalf of the Colombian army and hydro-electric companies, and publicized a new law on land restitution. Pareja, who had worked for the radio station for 13 years, left his town for the departmental capital of Ibagué.The director of La Voz de la Tierra, Luís Alberto Cardona, told Colombia’s Foundation for Press Freedom (FLIP) that the station’s main purpose is to broadcast educational material for schoolchildren. “We deplore these threats against Dionisia, Edilberto and Jesús Antonio,” Reporters Without Borders said, adding that internal exile threatens press freedom. “These cases demonstrate the dangers that Colombian community radio journalists face from the country’s armed groups. We demand that the authorities provide ample protection for these colleagues, who have been prevented from working.”The press freedom organization also noted that Colombia has more journalists in foreign and domestic exile than any other South American country.Paramilitary “self-defence” groups are categorized by Reporters Without Borders as major threats to press freedom in the Americas.Colombian filmmaker Juan Lozano told Reporters Without Borders that an improvement in safety conditions for journalists in Colombia’s major cities has been accompanied by a worsening situation in outlying towns. Community and regional radio journalists, he said, run the greatest risks. Lozano and journalist Hollman Morris co-directed a major film on the paramilitary threat, Impunity.The film was shown in Paris on 23 April. Further screenings are scheduled 25 April at 20:15 (8:15 pm) at l’Espace Saint-Michel cinema, and 26 April at 20:00 (8 pm) at the 7 Parnassiens cinema and 20 April at 20:15 (8:15 pm) at l’Espace Saint-Michel. Lozano will be present for the showings, and for discussions that follow.The film’s trailer: RSF, IFEX-ALC and Media Defence, support FLIP and journalist Diana Díaz against state harassment in Colombia May 13, 2021 Find out more RSF_en ColombiaAmericas RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America Help by sharing this information October 21, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

RSF concerned by murder of journalist Jay Torres in Texas

first_img WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists United StatesAmericas Protecting journalists Violence News June 18, 2016 RSF concerned by murder of journalist Jay Torres in Texas Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is concerned to learn of the murder of journalist Jacinto Hernández Torres, whose byline was Jay Torres, in Garland, Texas. It remains unclear if his death was directly related to his work as a journalist. June 3, 2021 Find out more Jay Torres was a 57-year-old local freelance journalist who frequently contributed to La Estrella, the Spanish language publication of the Star Telegram, and who also had a real estate business.His body was found Monday night in a suburb of Dallas, Texas near a property he may have been looking to purchase and flip for his real estate business. His real estate investment partner had become worried when Torres told him he was going there on Friday and then failed to respond to texts or calls over the weekend.The Garland Police Department said in a press release that they are investigating his death as a homicide but told RSF it was too early to say what the motive was for his murder. The statement revealed that Torres’ body had been at the scene of the crime for several days before he was found. His daughter Aline Torres told reporters at a press conference on Wednesday that her father had recently worked on more sensitive stories that may have involved human trafficking. She said “he would tell me he was turning over rocks that maybe people didn’t want turned over.”“We urge the authorities to thoroughly investigate Torres’ murder and determine whether or not it was related to his work as a journalist,” said Delphine Halgand, RSF’s US Director. The U.S. ranks 41 out of 180 countries on RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index. United StatesAmericas Protecting journalists Violence RSF_en Receive email alerts NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say to go further Follow the news on United States June 7, 2021 Find out more Organisation News News News Help by sharing this information April 28, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Local hoteliers rest easier as occupancy up

first_img Previous articleMurray gets nod at nine for openerNext article‘New moral low’ as graveside visitor robbed admin Facebook Print Linkedin Twitter WhatsAppcenter_img HARD work and ingenuity is paying off for Limerick’s hoteliers, who have driven business up after getting in bed with tourism attractions and restaurateurs to cut deals.According to the Mid-West Hotel Federation branch of the Hotel Federation of Ireland, Limerick is now “the most competitively priced tourist city in terms of hotel prices in the country”.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Chairman of the Mid-West branch, Clare hotelier Michael Vaughan, said that the work being done by the city’s hotels is to be applauded. “They have got together with the tourism attractions, such as Thomond Park and the restaurants and done deals for packages. They have sought funding for marketing and brochures and it’s paying off. The latest report is that there is an increase of three per cent in occupancy year on year,” Michael told The Limerick Post.He was speaking in the wake of the publication of the release of the latest hotel figures from STL Global for Dublin, which show that rates being charged in the capital are up by 5.4 per cent. “There is a two-pronged recovery. One is the kind of recovery seen in Dublin and aside from the fact that it is a capital city, there have also been massive investments in attractions like the Aviva stadium and the Grand Canal Theatre. Limerick is recovering in terms of occupancy”.There is also increased activity in terms of coach tour business in the city, the hotels representative said. “Limerick is probably now the most competitively priced tourist city in Ireland”. The improvement is welcomed in the entire region, Michael said, as Limerick “has underperformed for the last 10 years. The Mid-West branch (of the IHF) had identified Limerick city tourism as the single biggest tourism difficulty in the region. If Limerick improves its tourism draw, then that brings people into the region”. Email NewsLocal NewsLocal hoteliers rest easier as occupancy upBy admin – September 13, 2011 466 Advertisementlast_img read more

Leaders Jaguars face hosts Scorpions, as Regional 4-Day resumes today

first_img… Reifer, Joseph make returnFRONT-RUNNERS and defending champions Guyana Jaguars will look to extend their dominance when Cricket West Indies (CWI) Professional Cricket League Regional 4-Day Tournament resumes today.The Jaguars, who enjoyed home advantage for the past three rounds, will resume outside of their home territory against hosts Jamaican Scorpions at Sabina Park.Currently, the Jaguars sit on 118.0 points, 42.8 points ahead of second-placed Barbados Pride (75.2). Trinidad and Tobago Red Force (71.6), Jamaica Scorpions (71.4), Leeward Islands Hurricanes (61), and Windward Islands Volcanoes (52.2) complete the points table after seven rounds.Complacency will be the only thing that Leon Johnson and company will have to resist, but the Jaguars have never given the impression that this is something they have to guard against by the way they operate.Raymond ReiferThey have won five games in convincing fashion, drew against the Hurricanes and recorded a tied against the Windward Islands Volcanoes in round six.Recent history favours the Jaguars – the three-time reigning champions started their quest for a fourth-straight title in style when they crushed the Scorpions by 263 runs in round one last October.Meanwhile, the Jaguars have made two changes to their squad from the last game, with the inclusion of new West Indies recruit Raymon Reifer and West Indies A team fast bowler Keon Joseph.Reifer, the Barbados-born all-rounder returned from New Zealand where he made his Test debut in the second Test last December, while Joseph recovered from a slight injury.Anthony Adams and Sherfane Rutherford are the players making way. While Adams has not played a game this season, Rutherford has played in all seven rounds.Rutherford has chalked up 239 runs at an average of 29.88 and picked up 19 wickets at 20.26.Devendra Bishoo was not selected for this round, as he is still recovering from an injury.The Jaguars, three-time defending champions of the competition, are on course for a fourth consecutive title. They will play hosts Barbados Pride from January 11 to 14; and return home to face Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in the final round January 18-21.Guyana Jaguars squad reads: Leon Johnson (captain), Vishaul Singh, Chandrapaul Hemraj, Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Keemo Paul, Akshaya Persaud, Raymon Reifer, Anthony Bramble (wicketkeeper), Gudakesh Motie, Veerasammy Permaul, Romario Shepherd and Keon Joseph.last_img read more