Anfield won’t just be the home of Liverpool FC after this…

first_imgAdvertisementPhoto Credits: Getty Images.After much consideration, the Liverpool City Council’s planning committee approved the application for music concerts to be held at Liverpool’s home stadium.According to a council spokesman, the stadium had been given a temporary two-year licence for six concerts a year.Plans to use the site for events such as American and Gaelic football matches were rejected by the council last month on the grounds they would have a harmful effect on residents and the transport and road network.A meeting was held by the planning committee sometime during August and the club was asked to provide more information on proposals to hold concerts at the ground and to confirm what had been done to contact with residents.It had initially asked for permission to hold 10 events a year but after concerns were raised by residents dropped the number to six.Under the plans, the stadium – which was expanded in 2016 – will hold music concerts or other events such as boxing for crowds of about 50,000 at the end of the football season.The proposals were met with 57 objections from locals.Complaints included that the Sir Paul McCartney concert, held at the stadium in 2008, caused problems including drowning out the television.In a statement, councillor Jane Corbett said: “The local residents usually have respite from the football matches at ‘the end of the season’.“This extended use of the stadium will mean that, in effect, there will no longer be an ‘end to the season’.”She also cited problems with people urinating and littering when attending the stadium.In the past, the ground has bore witness to other events – American evangelist Billy Graham preached to crowds at the stadium for a week in 1984 and in the 1950s, basketball team the Harlem Globetrotters played an exhibition match there.Read Also: Football: Manchester City and Raheem Sterling are renewing their vows Advertisementlast_img read more

HC seeks govts reply on transgenders plea for name change

first_imgNew Delhi, Apr 14 (PTI) A transgenders plea for change of name and gender from male to female in the official records has led the Delhi High Court to seek the Centres response.Justice Manmohan issued notice to the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and the Controller of Publications seeking their replies on the petition of the city-based transgender who has alleged discrimination by the authorities on ground of her sexual identity and has sought “disciplinary enquiry” against them.The court also directed its registry to redact the trans -sexual petitioners name from the cause title of the case and refer to her as A. It listed the matter for further hearing on August 16.The petition claims that “that petitioner is a MtF (male to female) trans-sexual who due to duality between petitioners appearance, voice, mannerism, dressing style and her male ID, faces discrimination in the society”.The petitioner through her lawyer told the court that the department officials have refused to consider her application for change of name without a certificate stating that she had undergone Sexual Reassignment Surgery (SRS).Advocate Harsh Ahuja, appearing for the central government, told the court the issues raised by the petitioner might be covered in the The Rights of Transgender Persons Bill, 2015 which is pending in the Parliament.The plea said the petitioner was diagnosed with gender identity disorder in 2005 and has since been on hormone replacement therapy. It also claims that she has been living as a woman from the time she turned 19 years old.advertisementThe petitioner has sought directions to the department of publications “to allow and publish in the gazette, name change of petitioner without requirement of any SRS, if needed, subject to certification of board/committee constituted for the purpose”. (More) PTI HMP PPS ARClast_img read more