Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
September 20, 2017 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Hurricane Harvey, National Issues, Press Release Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf announced that members of PA Task Force One, Urban Search and Rescue Task Force returned to their home station in Philadelphia after several weeks on federal deployment to assist first responders after Hurricane Harvey hit Texas and Hurricane Irma hit Florida.Five members remain deployed as part of a federal Incident Support Team currently stationed in San Juan, Puerto Rico to provide support to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands in anticipation of significant impacts from Hurricane Maria. Their mission is to coordinate operations of federal resources currently on the ground there.“The men and women of Task Force One make tremendous sacrifices in time away from their loved ones in both training and actual deployments,” said Governor Wolf. “We’re proud that we can help our fellow Americans during the incredibly difficult response and recovery process.”The team has the capability to conduct water rescues and consists of highly trained personnel in search and rescue such as heavy rigging and structural specialists, hazardous materials, specialized communications, medical personnel and canine handlers, as well as staff who will aid the team with ground support once they arrive on site.It is not known how long deployed members will remain in Puerto Rico. PA TF1 US&R is just one of numerous task forces from multiple states to receive federal activation orders. PA Task Force One Returns to Philadelphia after Federal Deployment for Harvey and Irma Response
Amenities like Streets Beach in the South Bank Parkland a major drawcards to the Brisbane inner city. Picture: Supplied.BRISBANE’S dwelling price growth is expected to mirror that of Sydney next year, with new forecasts seeing the city more than double its pace to a high of 7 per cent.The projections came off the latest SQM Boom & Bust Report, released Thursday, which also dispelled fears of a property crash in Sydney and Melbourne.“Brisbane’s property market will experience slightly stronger gains than those posted in 2017,” said SQM housing expert Louis Christopher, “with property prices forecast to rise between 3 per cent to 7 per cent.”What was holding Brisbane back from a higher rate of housing price growth was “the persistent overhang of surplus property listings”, he said.The report also eased fears of a deep housing correction in Sydney and Melbourne, crediting the actions of regulators to rein in rampaging investor borrowing for those cities’ survival. More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus1 day agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market1 day agoBrisbane is expected to see its housing growth go as high as 7 per cent next year. Picture: AAP Image/Claudia Baxter.“The authorities were right to take action earlier this year to restrict investing lending by banks. Failure to have taken action would have resulted in out-of-control Sydney and Melbourne housing markets, where additional aggressive monetary policy may well have triggered a large fall in dwelling prices in 2018,” he said.The forecasts assumed that there would be no change in interest rates next year, a stable exchange rate and that existing restrictions by APRA on investment lending remained in place. BUYING: Affordability takes a hit though apartments cheaper AFFORDABLE: Unlikely Brisbane property hot spots Sydney was expected to grow between 4 to 8 per cent next year, while the highest growth was expected out of Hobart (ranging between 8 to 13 per cent) followed by Melbourne (7 to 12 per cent).Mr Christopher said in the 12 months to September the capital city average growth was 8.5 per cent, led by Hobart (14.3 per cent), Melbourne (12.1 per cent), Sydney (10.5 per cent, Canberra (7.8 per cent), Adelaide (5 per cent), with Brisbane showing the lowest positive growth in the period of 2.9 per cent.Perth (-2.9 per cent) and Darwin (-4.7 per cent) were the only capitals in the negative for the 12-month period. *FOLLOW SOPHIE FOSTER on Twitter or Facebook FREE: Get The Courier-Mail’s real estate news direct to your inbox
Blockchain also “mitigated counterparty risk” in the transaction and sped up the completion of the deal, Vuille added, “reducing what normally takes a few days to a matter of seconds”.Stéphane Rey, chief technology officer at LOIM, said: “Through this blockchain transaction, we have learned more about using the technology and the more practical aspects that needed to be handled, not least legal and compliance to name a few.”Solidum developed its own blockchain-based system, dubbed ILSBlockchain, to support its transactions in insurance-linked securities.Cedric Edmonds, director of Solidum Re, said the project was in part a reaction to difficulties raising small amounts of capital efficiently through traditional platforms such as Euroclear.The transaction is the latest example of asset managers and other financial services providers exploring the uses of blockchain.Last year, Northern Trust teamed up with IBM to provide a blockchain administration system for a private equity fund run by Unigestion.At the time, Northern Trust’s president of corporate and institutional services Peter Cherecwich said the system was “designed to deliver a significantly enhanced and efficient approach to private equity administration”.Vanguard is currently exploring the use of blockchain in the construction of its index-tracking products, while Dutch pension managers APG and PGGM are jointly working on a blockchain-based administration service. Lombard Odier Investment Managers (LOIM) has completed a bond deal using blockchain technology, in a transaction it claims is among the first of its kind.The manager participated in a $15m (€12.6m) issue of catastrophe bonds by a Guernsey-based subsidiary of insurance specialist Solidum Partners in August.Details of the transaction were recorded and communicated to deal participants via blockchain, a digital ledger technology that has risen to prominence in finance as the backbone of Bitcoin. The system allows participants near-instant access to secure, encrypted records of transactions that would otherwise be handled manually and take several days to complete. These records can be shared with regulators if needed.Simon Vuille, a portfolio manager in LOIM’s insurance-linked strategies team, said the technology had “markedly lowered the transaction costs relative to other settlement methods where costs are prohibitive for transactions of this size”.
Christian Concern 29 January 2016Mindfulness is increasingly becoming the relaxation method of choice, used not only by individuals but by employers and health services.Despite claims that the practice, which involves being still and focusing on one’s breathing and thoughts, can help to tackle stress and depression, critics have attested to its negative effects – suggesting that it is not simply a harmless way to unwind.Dr Peter Jones of truthXchange has spoken about the Buddhist roots of mindfulness, explaining that the process of meditation, which effectively silences the conscience, actually creates a mindset “very opposite to the Christian faith”.Studies have also shown that mindfulness can cause adverse effects. In 1992, one researcher, David Shapiro of the University of California, Irvine, found that 7% of those who practiced mindfulness experienced serious negative reactions, such as panic and depression.Several people have described their personal negative experiences of mindfulness, reporting these same feelings of panic, depression and anxiety.http://www.christianconcern.com/our-concerns/social/mindfulness-can-cause-panic-depression-and-anxiety-participants-report?utm_source=Christian+Concern&utm_campaign=8ba5d64e2b-WN-2016-01-30&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9e164371ca-8ba5d64e2b-127299873
Suhl: Vijayveer Sidhu notched up his third gold medal of the ongoing ISSF Junior Shooting World Cup as he combined with Rajkanwar Singh Sandhu and Adarsh Singh to clinch the men’s 25m pistol event here on Tuesday. On the other hand, it was the second gold of the competition for Adarsh. Hriday, however, finished fourth in the 10m Air Rifle individual competition. With seven gold and a total of 16 medals so far, India leads the medal standings after three days of the World Cup. IANSAlso Read: ISSF World Cup Apurvi Chandela Wins 10m Air rifle Gold
New Delhi: The 2018 Asia Cup is set to start from September 15 in the United Arab Emirates with Bangladesh taking on Sri Lanka in the opening fixture. Sheikh Zayed Stadium and Dubai International Cricket stadium will be the hosts of the 2018 Asia Cup with UAE hosting it for the third time after 1984 and 1985 editions. India are the defending champions after they defeated Bangladesh by 8 wickets.Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are the participating teams in the 2018 Asia Cup.ALSO READ: England vs India 5th Test: India’s probable lineup for Oval TestHere are some interesting stats and facts from Asia Cup:Virat Kohli’s knock of 183 runs in 2012 vs Pakistan is the highest individual score in Asia Cup history.Among the 13 Asia Cup, India have won it six times while Sri Lanka and Pakistan have won it for five and two times respectively.Bangladesh have hosted Asia Cup for five times, which is the highest by any country.Former Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan is the highest wicket-taker with 30 wickets in Asia Cup history.Asia Cup’s 2016 edition was the first time the tournament was played in a T20 format.Sri Lanka are the only side to participate in 13 editions, while India, Pakistan and Bangladesh have played Asia Cup for 12 times each.Former Sri Lankan batsman Sanath Jayasuriya is the highest run-getter in Asia Cup history with 1196 runs. He has also scored most runs in a single edition (378)Sri Lankan spinner Ajantha Mendis’ 17 wickets in 2008 are the most number of wickets taken in a single edition of Asia Cup. His 6/13 in 2008 vs India still remains the best bowling figures in Asia Cup.Sanath Jayasuriya holds the record of the maximum number of centuries in Asia Cup – 6.Kumar Sangakkara of Sri Lanka has made the highest number of dismissals (36) in the history of Asia Cup.Mahela Jayawardena (Sri Lanka) has taken most number of catches – 15.Lasith Malinga, who is also making a comeback to the Sri Lankan squad has the most number of five-wicket haul in an edition – 3.Pakistan’s 385/7 is the highest team score.Bangladesh’s 87 is the lowest team score.The partnership of 224 between Nasir Jamshed and Mohd. Hafeez (Pakistan) in 2012 against India remains the highest partnership in Asia Cup history. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
Today QPR play at Old Trafford – the scene of one of their greatest victories, along with plenty of defeats. How much do you know about the history between Rangers and Manchester United? Answer these 10 questions to find out…[mtouchquiz 4]Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on FacebookAdChoices广告
Published on March 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm Facebook Twitter Google+ ‘War’ starts a little after 5 p.m. for Syracuse most days during the week.That’s when, a little more than an hour into practice, the players scrimmage five-on-five. The starters make up one side, and the first five off the bench — Dion Waiters, Mookie Jones, C.J. Fair, James Southerland and Fab Melo — usually make up the other team.And to Waiters, who runs the point for the second team, ‘war’ is the best way to describe it.‘We battle in practice,’ Waiters said after SU’s 107-59 win over DePaul on Saturday. ‘We want to get better — and I want to get better — at the end of the day. So when the second group comes on and we’re playing against Scoop and them — the starting five — we go hard.‘It’s a war out there.’AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe Orange got a lot more of that these past two weeks, when it had five days to prepare for a game at Georgetown and a week for the game against the Blue Demons on Saturday.The time off was important for multiple reasons, most of them obvious. But almost every member of SU expressed how important the breaks were between games.That was because Syracuse displayed a rejuvenated, in sync and, at times, perfected style of play Saturday against DePaul. In the largest margin of victory in Big East conference history, the Orange secured a double-bye in the upcoming Big East tournament in what was easily its most impressive performance of the season. And that should bode well for a team that looked so good coming off an obscene amount of rest Saturday.‘We go to New York with a good thing — the double-bye,’ SU head coach Jim Boeheim said. ‘It didn’t work out too well last year. You’re going to play a team that is coming off a good win and gain confidence from that. We’ll see what happens when we get down there.’Granted, SU looked rejuvenated against a DePaul team that obviously doesn’t take lessons from Charlie Sheen. So let’s talk about the stats Boeheim starts to bring up — because they are not in Syracuse’s favor. Since the league instituted the double-bye two years ago, higher-seeded teams have struggled.The teams that receive double-byes are 7-6 overall the past two years. The quarterfinal round, especially, has been a toss-up.Syracuse, of course, was a lower seed two years ago when it knocked off Connecticut in the legendary six-overtime thriller. Last year, three of the four top seeds were knocked off in the round.But from watching the past two wins for this SU team, it’s evident the added rest and practice time were the two things that contributed most to the Orange’s recent dominance.‘A week can either hurt you or help you,’ SU forward Kris Joseph said. ‘And in our case, I think it really helped us.’Specifically with respect to the win over the Blue Demons, the week between games helped Syracuse get in sync offensively. That was something it failed to do most of the time in two impressive wins at Villanova and Georgetown last week. Those games were won on the defensive end of the floor.Lessons from the time off showed Saturday as the Orange excelled in both its steady transition attack and its half-court offense. It showed when Jackson zipped seamless line-drive passes to Waiters in the transition attack. It showed for the freshman Waiters, when he zigzagged his way through the Blue Demons’ defense for 12 points and three assists.And it showed for the entire Orange offense as Boeheim played all 17 players on his roster. In a balanced attack, six players scored in double figures. Fair — who used the time off to rest an injured ankle — went for 11 on 4-of-4 shooting and 3-of-3 from the free-throw line. Melo came through with perhaps his best game of the season, scoring 10 on perfect shooting and grabbing six rebounds.Now Syracuse has that extra day before the Big East tournament starts. More importantly, thanks to the last two weeks of work, SU appears to be hitting its stride at exactly the right time.‘When you finally get a chance to go out there and play,’ Waiters said, ‘it’s all out. You take everything you learn from practice and the hard work you put in. And it’s starting to pay off.’Brett LoGiurato is the sports editor at The Daily Orange, where his column appears occasionally. He can be reached at email@example.com. Comments
Ulster Captain Rory Best says they’re still in the hunt for a European Champions Cup quarter-final place despite their loss to Clermont Auvergne.A second-half fight back wasn’t enough as they went down 38-19 in their Pool Five game at the Stade Marcel Michelin yesterday.Scarlets secured a famous 22-21 victory over Toulon In Pool 3. It’s the Welsh team’s first ever win over the French side.In Pool 4, Castres beat Montpellier 29-23.