– claims he never heard of WarlockAfter just over one week on trial for the alleged shooting to death of Dexter Griffith at East Ruimveldt, Georgetown, on September 29, 2015; the accused, Delon Henry, called “Nasty Man”, is likely to know his fate in the coming days.At Tuesday’s hearing, the prosecution closed its case and defence called no witnesses. However, the defendant took the stand in an unsworn statement, telling the court that he knows nothing of the murder allegation and that he does not know the place called Warlock where the shooting occurred.“I come from till up de East Bank. All de officer dem question me and I said I did not know about this murder. I did not shoot anybody,” Henry observed.Before taking his seat, Henry claimed that the Police assaulted him, noting that he has always denied killing Griffith.Delon Henry, called “Nasty Man”However, Police Corporal Munilall Persaud testified earlier that he assisted Police Inspector Simeon Reid in conducting the photographic identification parade on October 6, 2015, at Criminal Investigations Department Headquarters, Eve Leary, Georgetown.Persaud told the court that he laid out 16 photographs, noting that witness Keswhan Griffith, brother of the deceased, selected the number ‘10’ photo which was that of Delon Henry. The detective claimed that at no time did he or anyone in his presence assist the witness in his selection of Henry’s picture.The younger Griffith had testified earlier in the trial that he witnessed “Nasty Man” shooting his brother on that fateful night. One day before he participated in the ID parade, he saw the picture of the suspect in the State newspaper and made contact with Police.When Corporal Persaud was cross-examined by defence Attorney Adrian Thompson, he maintained that he had no concern with conducting the ID parade the next day with Griffith after the witness related what he saw the day before. Persaud said if he had a problem with his senior’s instructions, he would comply and then complain but he saw no need to make a complaint against Inspector Reid.Meantime, Police Prosecutor Neville Jeffers who conducted Henry’s Preliminary Inquiry, read the evidence of former Police Constable Maxwell Grant who resigned after never assuming duties after proceeding on leave. According to Grant’s deposition that was tendered at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts, the Constable’s evidence confirmed that five spent shells were recovered from the scene.Grant had related that the evidence was retrieved, placed in bags and handed over to then Police Sergeant Eon Jackson who has tendered the exhibits at the Magistrates’ Courts. However, Jackson, the ballistics expert, revealed on Monday that he was unsuccessful in his attempts to locate the spent shells.The case concludes before Justice Sandhil Kissoon who will soon put the matter to the jury to deliberate on Henry’s fate.According to reports back then, after being shot, Griffith reportedly walked a short distance in an attempt to escape from Henry but eventually fell unconscious to the ground, while his assailant escaped. Prosecutors Lisa Cave and Orinthia Schmidt are prosecuting the State’s case.
PICO RIVERA – A father of three killed his wife before killing himself Friday in a house near Cravell Avenue and Terradell Street, authorities said. Deputies responded to an assault call from the couple’s home in the 8300 block of Cravell Avenue at 6:28 a.m., according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Sgt. Paul Patterson. When deputies arrived, they found both people dead. Homicide investigators believe the husband shot the wife and himself, Patterson said. Officials did not release names of the two dead people, but said that the couple had three children. “We don’t know why the shooting occurred,” Patterson said. “They left behind two teenagers and one minor.” Cravell Avenue was blocked by deputies all morning Friday, as investigators looked for evidence inside the home. Broken levy leads to water damage PICO RIVERA – A levy between the San Gabriel River and the San Gabriel River Coastal Basin Spreading Grounds broke, causing rushing water to undermine a pole owned by Southern California Edison, Pico Rivera spokesman Bob Spencer said Friday. The small, dirt levy was tended to by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works, and, other than the pole, no major damage was caused, Spencer said. The county uses the spreading grounds to hold water siphoned from the river, which then sinks into drinking-water wells. Bridge arson case hits court delay WHITTIER – A preliminary hearing scheduled Friday for a transient accused of burning down the Beverly Boulevard bridge was postponed. The district attorney alleges Nelson Gastelum set fire to the bridge while trying to keep warm Nov. 1. Authorities say the fire then got out of control and destroyed the bridge. Gastelum’s attorneys said they wanted more time to review evidence. Gastelum has been charged with a felony count of recklessly causing the fire of a structure. He was ordered to return to court Dec. 14. He is being held at Twin Towers jail on $20,000 bail. Deputies seeking donations of toys PICO RIVERA – Deputies from the Los Angeles County sheriff’s Pico Rivera Station are asking for the community’s help in collecting toys for its annual holiday toy distribution. Residents or businesses who would like to make a child’s holiday a little more cheerful this holiday season can drop toys off at the station at 6631 Passons Blvd. All toys will be distributed later this month to disadvantaged families in the Pico Rivera community. For more information, call Sgt. Steve Sanchez at (562) 949-2421. Coalition slates open house WHITTIER – The community is invited to Whittier Area First Day Coalition’s open house and four-year birthday celebration from 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday at 12426 Whittier Blvd. Visitors can see the results of a recent Home Depot makeover and meet the board, staff and residents of First Day. Tours of the facility will also be available. For more information, call (562) 587-1439. From staff reports AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
There’s “no din of alien chatter in our neighborhood,” writes Richard Kerr in the Feb. 20 issue of Science.1 “Early-generation searches for extraterrestrial intelligence are coming up empty-handed, but the SETI community is carrying on,” he writes. Search pioneer Frank Drake admits “We found nothing” in the latest Project Phoenix, a survey of 700 nearby sunlike stars. James Trefil adds, “this idea there’s a galactic club that we would join as soon as we started … doesn’t look like it’s panning out.” Paul Horowitz is not near ready to quit, though, urged on by the conviction that “There’s got to be life in the galaxy.” Statistically, even with optimistic assumptions, it would not be probable to have found one by now – just hopeful. Upcoming searches promise to be quicker and more powerful. But if there are only 10,000 alien civilizations surfing the galactic radio internet, it could take decades to find one. The importance of a positive signal keeps the search going. Until one is found, however, SETI has been termed by Seth Shostak as “looking for an uncertain manifestation of a hypothetical presence.”1Richard Kerr, “No Din of Alien Chatter in Our Neighborhood,” Science Volume 303, Number 5661, Issue of 20 Feb 2004, p. 1133.Without the belief in Darwinian evolution, one wonders how much motivation SETI would have. Would believers in God expect to find life all over the universe trying to contact us? If so, would they work this hard looking? The Darwin Party seems to think a discovery of alien life would disprove the Bible, but is that necessarily true? Why would it not just as clearly indicate creation? What if the aliens tell us they evolved, but are lying? What if they turn out to be storytellers as incorrigible as members of the Darwin Party here on earth? It’s fun, but maybe not useful, to speculate about things we cannot know. Take your pick on this one. Not even all secularists, though, agree SETI is worthwhile. Michael Crichton used it as an example of policy-driven pseudoscience, essentially a religion (see 12/27/2003). The only data point we have so far is that the local neighborhood is not teeming with alien broadcasters on the channels we are checking. Maybe that means something. If nothing else, the SETI researchers are making a great case for intelligent design (see 07/29/2002). Their core assumption is that a nonrandom, coded message would be convincing evidence of intelligence, even if they knew nothing about the sender.(Visited 11 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
South Africa’s 2016 National Budget was tabled in challenging global economic conditions, with low growth at home, Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan said at a media briefing on Thursday.“It’s a tough Budget,’ he said. “We are finding ourselves in a very difficult global economic environment with lots of doubt on whether the developed world will continue to grow . We’ve seen that currencies of emerging markets have been affected and commodity producers have been affected.’The Budget, tabled in Parliament on Wednesday, comes at a time when high unemployment levels and slow growth have demanded greater investment by the government.“We have our own internal difficulties as South Africa,’ Gordhan said. “We’ve been growing too slowly. Our unemployment levels are too high, poverty and inequality levels are also high … Government has, for the last six years or so, been carrying the substantial burden of investing in infrastructure, for example.’He said the country must come up with new answers.“At the same time, we’ve borrowed a lot since 2009 in order to sustain, in particular, our social services and invest in infrastructure and the economy more generally. We haven’t grown at the same level as we borrowed.’This, he said, means South Africa must rein in spending.“This means we have to tighten our belts, tax a little bit more without hurting the economy and cut expenditure within government as well. That’s the balancing act temporarily. I hope that we have to perform it until all of us can put our heads together and say: How do we grow this economy? How do we get more investment? How do we create more jobs?’Tax relief and tackling debtThe 2016 Budget makes tax proposals that include a personal income tax relief of R5.5-billion, partially compensating for inflation, focused on lower- and middle-income earners.Gordhan pointed out that South Africans’ household debt is high.“Indebtedness in South Africa is a serious problem,’ he said. “Unsecured lending, at one stage, was a serious problem. The message is, we will try to do whatever we can, as we have done this time. Where there are possibilities of tax relief, we will direct the tax relief at the lower end. For example, to mitigate inflation, the money that we’ve put in (R 5.5-billion) is going to the lower income brackets.’He urged South Africans not to overextend themselves financially. “Like government, everybody needs to balance their budgets as well until we can get the economy to start growing.’On the nuclear build programme, Gordhan said the Budget stance is that nuclear will be expanded at a scale and pace that is affordable following a thorough and transparent tender process.“We are at the very early stages of the programme. We will phase in the implementation of a programme like that in accordance with our affordability. We have to go through a proper, transparent procurement process.’Investment and structural reformGordhan also spoke of the need for investment to grow the economy.“For the purposes of growth, we require more investment both from government and from the private sector. We need more creative energy from our own people, we need entrepreneurs on a large scale and support for small, medium and micro-sized enterprises.’In his Budget speech on Wednesday, Gordhan emphasised that structural reforms – such as those detailed in the National Development Plan – were needed to “turn the South African economy’s direction towards hope’.“The Budget tabled today is guided by the NDP,’ he told Parliament. “It is a Budget for inclusive growth, it emphasises partnerships among role players in our economy, it prioritises education and infrastructure investment, it supports employment creation and it contributes to building a capable, developmental state.’Source: South African Government News Agency and South Africa.info reporter
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest I think we’re probably looking at the end of the week to roll. We welcomed the rain we got because the farm we have that is the closest to ready needed a little time to even out. The rain will help some of the later beans and it will help get them headed in the right direction. When you get a rain this time of year it always seems like it helps those beans turn a little faster. I don’t know if there is any science behind that or not. Maybe it is just because the rain knocks the leaves off.I don’t think the yields will be all that great this year — I am guessing below average. Some of our grain companies we deal with were interested in doing some yield checks and came out. I don’t think it will be a great year yield wise on corn. I am still hopeful for the beans. We’ll find out when we get to those later this week if it doesn’t rain.Unless we see ears dropping or stalks going down in the corn, we will probably stick with the beans once we start just because of our of our specialty beans we do. All of the bean bins are cleaned and ready to go.It looks to me like there is a lot more SDS out there than a lot of people thought. It has really revealed itself in the last three weeks. I have also seen fields hit pretty hard by frogeye as well.Our stalks aren’t quite mature yet. We got into this hot stretch and between the heat and the nitrogen deficiency, it seems like this corn is headed to maturity at a pretty quick pace.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
Soon after Pakistan speedster Shoaib Akhtar raised questions about him, Sachin Tendulkar said it was “below my dignity to react”.Tendulkar’s childhood friend and former cricketer Vinod Kambli, who was the architect of many a great innings in company with the batting genius, has also said Sachin was never scared of Akhtar’s bowling, as claimed in the Pakistan cricketer’s book.’Sachin was never scared of Shoaib or anyone. Look at the way he played his cricket and scored highest runs. Nobody is even close to him and nobody ever dares talk to him like that,” Kambli said.Akhtar has made several starling revelations that are set to send the cricketing community running for cover. Akhtar — one of the most controversial cricketers — sparked a row by revealing it all in a tell-all autobiography — Controversially Yours.Akhtar hit out at Indian cricket stars Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid. In a statement, Shoaib criticised Tendulkar and Dravid for not being winners and for not knowing the art of finishing a game.