Indonesia calls for ‘collective response’ as UN passes COVID-19 resolution

first_img“In particular, the resolution also gives appreciation to healthcare workers, medical professions and researchers that are continuously doing their job under a difficult situation,” the release states.The resolution, cosponsored by 188 member states, was significant and the first of its kind in UN history, Indonesian Permanent Representative to the UN Dian Triansyah Djani said, highlighting that even during a pandemic was Indonesian diplomacy at the UN ongoing.Read also: UN Security Council resumes activities under shadow of COVID-19The voting of the resolution was conducted virtually as New York had imposed a statewide lockdown, Triansyah said.There are more than 1 million COVID-19 cases and over 53,000 fatalities worldwide.In the realm of global health, Indonesia has stepped up its role by chairing the Foreign Policy and Global Health Initiative – a multilateral forum that discusses and initiates actions on health issues. The forum consists of Brazil, Norway, France, Senegal, Thailand and Indonesia. Indonesia is also a member of the WHO executive board.Topics : Indonesia has applauded the United Nations General Assembly for passing a resolution on global solidarity in the fight against COVID-19 and is calling on member states to organize a collective response to the pandemic.The resolution, titled “Global Solidarity to Fight COVID-19”, was passed by the UN General Assembly by acclamation on Thursday in New York and is the first UN resolution on COVID-19 since the World Health Organization declared the disease a pandemic on March 11. It was initiated by Indonesia, together with Ghana, Liechtenstein, Norway, Singapore and Switzerland, and cosponsored by 188 countries.In a press release on Friday, the Foreign Ministry stressed the importance of international cooperation in dealing with the pandemic. “In a worrying situation like this, we need unity, solidarity and international cooperation to give a fast and collective response toward the COVID-19 pandemic,” Foreign Ministry Retno LP Marsudi said, adding that there was no country that was immune to the virus, which has caused thousands of deaths worldwide.Read also: Indonesia calls for support for first UN General Assembly resolution on COVID-19The resolution sends a strong message to the international communities that the UN as a “universal organization” has a pivotal role in coordinating a global response, the release says, and that the UN must be able to communicate to the global communities that, without cooperation, solidarity and effective policy, no country will be able to survive the global health crisis.Under the leadership of the UN, a number of global collective actions were drawn up in the resolution, including international cooperation to curb the spread of the virus, impact mitigation through information exchange and research cooperation. It also mentioned the importance of good governance of all countries in handling the crisis and emphasized the leadership of the WHO in coordinating with international communities.last_img read more

Man U table N2.6b Ighalo yearly deal

first_imgRelatedPosts Ighalo: My best moment as ‘Red Devil’ EPL: Crystal Palace stun sloppy Man U EPL: Gunners gun for West Ham scalp Manchester United are preparing a three-year deal worth €6 million (N2.6 billion) per year in wages for striker Odion Ighalo, according to reports. Ighalo, who moved to United on loan from Shanghai Greenland Shenhua on deadline day in January, has hit the ground running with four goals in eight appearances. Indeed, the Nigerian’s strikes helped the Red Devils progress in the Europa League and FA Cup before the season was brought to a halt earlier this month. Previous reports have suggested that Ighalo was “seriously flattered” by an offer of more than £400,000 per week from Shanghai. However, according to Italian journalist Nicolo Schria – via his Twitter account – United are trying just as hard to keep the striker at Old Trafford. Schria claimed that United want to pay €15 million to buy Ighalo outright and believe that their contract offer will be enough to convince the 30-year-old to stay in England, even if he is offered more to return to China. Ighalo‘s deal reportedly ends on May 31 – a month before the expiry date of standard loan spells – meaning United could earmark the Nigerian’s signing as a priority in the coming weeks. Ighalo’s goals have been influential in United tallying an unbeaten run stretching 11 matches, with fellow January arrival Bruno Fernandes also playing a crucial role. “Odion has done really well when he’s come in and he’s enjoying himself,” Solskjaer said. “He will improve and get better, but he has qualities that we saw in him that we needed and we’ll still need those qualities for next season so let’s see what we do.” In other news, Portugal international Fernandes has expressed his desire to match his compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo’s achievements at United. Ronaldo became one of the world’s best players during his time at Old Trafford, where he won silverware, including the Premier League and Champions League.Tags: Bruno Fernandeschristiano ronaldoEnglish Premier LeagueManchester UnitedOdion IghaloOld TraffordOle Gunnar SolksjaerPlayer Dealslast_img read more

Ex-Spurs boss Harry Redknapp urges Poch to play ‘good boy’ Eriksen

first_imgHARRY Redknapp has urged Mauricio Pochettino to play wantaway playmaker Christian Eriksen while the Dane is still at the club.The former Spurs boss described Eriksen as a “good boy” – and believes that the 27-year-old will give his all for the team while he’s still with them.1 Eriksen has been on the bench for two of Spurs’ opening three gamesCredit: Getty Images – GettyThe former Ajax youngster has made no secret of his desire to join Barcelona, Juventus or Real Madrid .But Redknapp told talkSPORT: “Without Dele Alli, Eriksen is the only player Spurs have got who can make that final pass. Why was he on the bench?”I know he wants to go, but while he’s there I’d still be looking to play him to win games.”If there is a problem with him, why bring him on, just because you’re in trouble?”ACCA WITH LADBROKES Pick up a whole load of acca features to help you land the big oneThe 72-year-old likened it to when he managed Luka Modric at White Hart Lane.He added: “I had the same problem with Luka Modric when Chelsea came in for him, but he still played.”Even though Chelsea were offering to double his money, he got on with it. He stayed, played and was fantastic.”LATEST TOTTENHAM NEWSHARRY ALL FOUR ITKane admits Spurs must win EIGHT games to rise into Champions League spotGossipALL GONE PETE TONGVertonghen wanted by host of Italian clubs as long Spurs spell nears endBELOW PARRSpurs suffer blow with Parrott to miss Prem restart after appendix operationPicturedSHIRT STORMNew Spurs 2020/21 home top leaked but angry fans slam silver design as ‘awful”STEP BY STEP’Jose fears for players’ welfare during restart as stars begin ‘pre-season’KAN’T HAVE THATVictor Osimhen keen on Spurs move but only if they sell Kane this summerYOU KAN DO ITKlinsmann quit Spurs to win trophies but says Kane’s better off stayingTURBULENT PAIRINGDrogba and Mido had mid-flight brawl after stewardess prank went wrongGossipSPURRED ONTottenham table contract offer for Bayern Munich’s teenage starlet Taylor BoothExclusivePASS THE TESTEngland’s NRL-based stars urge bosses to make room for a Test this yearEriksen has been linked with a move away from Tottenham all summer – having just one year remaining on his Spurs contract – and the creative maestro’s agent’s relationship with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has allegedly completely broken down.Levy is desperate to tie one of his prized assets down to a new £200k-a-week deal, but has been snubbed on several occasions.Tottenham face fierce North London rivals Arsenal at the Emirates on Sunday – with the European transfer deadline looming just a day later. Christian Eriksen will only quit Tottenham for Real Madrid, Barcelona or Juventus… with last-gasp £60m bid expectedlast_img read more