Struggling Australian newswire turns to crowdfunding

first_imgTopics : News Corp then launched NCA, hiring a number of journalists, including several former AAP staff, to provide coverage to the company’s many newsrooms of topics previously supplied by the national newswire.The Guardian reported Monday that News Corp planned to offer NCA content to other Australian news organizations once a non-compete clause with AAP expires at the end of this year.Facing the prospect of that competition from its former owner, AAP is aiming to raise Aus$500,000 (US$364,000) through the fundraising campaign, which had attracted several thousand dollars in donations shortly after launching.”As our media customers struggle in the toughest advertising market in modern history and as the government struggles to find a way to support media competition and diversity, we are reaching out to all Australians for their help,” Cowdroy said.The newswire cut about half of its staff before relaunching what it previously said would be a slimmed-down “sustainable” operation.Smaller local publishers rely on its national coverage of news, sport and politics to bolster their own content. “The well-funded move threatens AAP’s unique role, supplying independent content” to smaller Australian publishers, she said in a statement. Cowdroy added the move would “create further disruption to AAP, and in turn the media market more generally, at a time when the industry is on its knees”. AAP was relaunched in early August by a philanthropist-led consortium just months after staff were told the company would shutter as challenges in the media sector were exacerbated by the economic fallout of the coronavirus pandemic.In March, News Corp and broadcasting and newspaper group Nine Entertainment pulled their support for AAP in a surprise decision that fuelled fears of further concentration of an Australian media landscape already dominated by a handful of companies.center_img The Australian Associated Press launched a crowdfunding campaign Monday as the newswire struggles with financial pressures just a month after it was sold off and relaunched as a non-profit.CEO Emma Cowdroy said AAP was facing aggressive competition from a new rival, NCA, created by News Corp after the Rupert Murdoch-owned media giant backed out of its role as the leading shareholder in the national newswire.She said News Corp now intends to “rapidly re-enter the commercial sector” with NCA.last_img read more

Cricket News Allen, Pooran, Thomas handed West Indies contracts for first time

first_imgNew Delhi : World Cup returnees Fabian Allen, Nicholas Pooran and Oshane Thomas have been handed West Indies central contracts for the first time while seven players have been given all-format contracts.The number of all-format contracts for the men has now increased from four to seven with Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer and Keemo Paul joining those in the Test and ODI formats — captain Jason Holder, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph and Kemar Roach — on the list.In total, 19 men have been retained for the upcoming contract year which runs from July 1 this year to June 30 next year including first-timers Allen, Pooran and Thomas who were part of the West Indies team which finished ninth out of 10 teams in the World Cup.Meanwhile, 15 women an increase of three have also earned central contracts  including veteran all-rounder Stacy-Ann King, fellow left-hander Kycia Knight and newcomers Shabika Gajnabi, Shawnisha Hector, Chinelle Henry, Natasha McLean and Karishma Ramharack.Cricket West Indies (CWI) policy allows up to 22 contracts to be offered each contract year to men’s players, so the selection panel may decide to offer additional central contracts throughout the year.CWI director of cricket Jimmy Adams said verbal offers had been made to all players, and contracts will be issued in the next few weeks, as soon as the board has concluded a new four-year Memorandum of Understanding with the West Indies Players Association.This is the third year that CWI will award central contracts to West Indies men under three different categories.WEST INDIES MEN CENTRALLY-CONTRACTED PLAYERS 2019-20:All-Format Contracts:Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer, Jason Holder, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Keemo Paul, Kemar RoachRed-Ball Contracts: Kraigg Brathwaite, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Jomel WarricanWhite-Ball Contracts: Fabian Allen, Carlos Brathwaite, Sheldon Cottrell, Nicholas Pooran, Rovman Powell, Oshane Thomas. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more