Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
ELLSWORTH — This year’s Ellsworth Elks Soccer Shoot has been scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 24.The event pits youth soccer players of all ages against one another in a shooting contest that provides a stern test of each player’s accuracy and power. More than 500,000 youth soccer players are expected to participate this year as Elks lodges across the country host qualifying tournaments in the coming weeks.Competitions are divided into boys’ and girls’ divisions with U8, U10, U12 and U14 classifications provided for each. The winners from each classification will advance to a district competition, where they will have a chance to reach the state and then regional championships.Hancock County had one particularly noteworthy contestant last year as Jacob Bagley of Hancock won the local, district and state crowns at the U12 level. The wins earned Bagley the chance to compete in the regional championships in Colonie, N.Y., last November.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textThe competition will begin at 8:30 a.m. at Ellsworth Elementary-Middle School’s Del Luce Stadium. There is no charge for entry.
Jose Mourinho has urged Chelsea to confirm his dramatic return to StamfordBridge or risk missing out.The Real Madrid boss is expected to take over from Rafa Benitez in the summer for a second stint in the Premier League.But ManchesterCity, Paris Saint-Germain and AC Milan are also reportedly waiting in the wings to pounce.‘Jose wants to go back to Chelsea. It’s where he wants to be,’ a source told The Sun.‘Every time Chelsea fans sing his name it makes him want to go back even more.‘He’ll sign for the same money he’s on at Real, even though he’s sure he could earn more elsewhere — like City or PSG. ‘Jose could even remain at Madrid but he is clear about where he’d like to go — it’s now down to if Roman Abramovich wants the same.’Mourinho won six trophies in three seasons with Chelsea but was unable to lift the Champions League.He hopes to do that at Wembley on May 25 with his Real Madrid side who are all but guaranteed a place in the last four after a 3-0 win over Galatasaray.
In this Nov. 12, 2010, file photo, Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald T. Sterling, right, sits with his wife Rochelle during the Clippers NBA basketball game against the Detroit Pistons in Los Angeles. An attorney representing the estranged wife of Clippers owner Donald Sterling said Thursday, May 8, 2014, that she will fight to retain her 50 percent ownership stake in the team. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill, File)NEW YORK (AP) – The NBA charged Donald Sterling on Monday with damaging the league and its teams with his racist comments, setting up a June 3 hearing after which owners could vote to terminate his ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers.The league also said the banned owner has engaged in other conduct that has impaired its relationship with fans and merchandising partners.“All of these acts provide grounds for termination under several provisions of the NBA constitution and related agreements,” the league said in a statement.Sterling was banned for life and fined $2.5 million by Commissioner Adam Silver after the release of a recording in which he made racist remarks. He has until May 27 to respond to the charge, and the right to appear at the hearing and make a presentation before the board of governors. He has the right to a lawyer at the hearing, but strict courtroom rules of evidence would not apply.Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, the board chairman, will preside over the hearing, which is planned for two days before the start of the NBA Finals. If three-fourths of the other 29 owners vote to sustain the charge, Sterling will be forced to sell the team he has owned since 1981.Silver has said he is confident he has the votes.Sterling told a female friend, V. Stiviano, not to bring Blacks to Clipper games during their conversation that was recorded. Sterling specifically mentioned Magic Johnson, then criticized the NBA Hall of Famer again as a poor role model during a recent interview with CNN.“Among other things, Mr. Sterling disparaged African-Americans and ‘minorities’; directed a female acquaintance not to associate publicly with African-Americans or to bring African-Americans to Clippers games; and criticized African-Americans for not supporting their communities,” the NBA said.The league also charged Sterling with issuing a false and misleading media statement about the matter.Article 13 of the NBA’s constitution, which deals with termination of ownership, states that one of the conditions is if an owner fails or refuses “to fulfill its contractual obligations to the Association, its members, players, or any other third party in such a way as to affect the Association or its members adversely.”A number of sponsors suspended their deals with the Clippers in the wake of Sterling’s remarks, potentially hurting league revenues, and players have said they would consider a boycott next season.“Mr. Sterling’s actions and positions significantly undermine the NBA’s efforts to promote diversity and inclusion; damage the NBA’s relationship with its fans; harm NBA owners, players and Clippers team personnel; and impair the NBA’s relationship with marketing and merchandising partners, as well as with government and community leaders,” the league said.If Sterling does not respond to the charge within five business days, or appear at the hearing, it would be deemed an admission of the “total validity of the charges as presented,” according to the constitution.But even the players who want him out believe Sterling will fight, and his attorney sent a letter to the league last week informing it that Sterling wouldn’t be paying the fine.A message on the office voicemail of Sterling’s lawyer, Maxwell Blecher, said he would have no comment now.Sterling’s estranged wife, Shelly, has said she will fight to keep her 50 percent share of the team even if Donald Sterling is forced to sell, but the league said in its statement that “all ownership interests in the Clippers will be terminated” if the charge is upheld.___Follow Brian Mahoney on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Briancmahoney