Italian army moves coronavirus dead from overwhelmed town

first_imgTopics : Officials have said tougher measures could be needed because too many people are not respecting the order to stay at home for all but essential purposes, and thousands are still falling ill.The images of army trucks evacuating bodies underlined the extent to which health services in the worst-affected northern regions of Italy have been stretched to breaking point by the crisis.Giacomo Angeloni, the local official in charge of cemeteries in Bergamo, said earlier this week the crematorium was working around the clock and handling around 24 bodies a day, almost twice its normal maximum, and was unable to keep up.With mortuaries overflowing, the pews of the crematorium church have been removed to leave space to lay out scores of coffins but more have been arriving every day.Lombardy provincial governor Attilio Fontana said doctors and nurses in the region’s hospitals were at their limits.”I’m worried about the possibility they could succumb physically and psychologically because if they were to succumb, it would really be a disaster,” Angeloni told Radio Capital.  Italy recorded the largest ever one-day increase in coronavirus deaths on Wednesday as the total rose by 475 to almost 3,000. There were more than 300 deaths in the region of Lombardy alone, where Bergamo, the worst-hit province with more than 4,000 cases, is located.Italy went into virtual lockdown before other countries in Europe but, with cases still rising, the government is considering even tougher measures that would further restrict the limited amount of outdoor movement currently permitted.Extending deadlinesOn Thursday, the Corriere della Sera newspaper quoted Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte as saying the government would extend the deadline on current emergency measures closing schools and many businesses. The measures currently order most shops to stay shut until at least March 25 and schools till April 3. Conte did not say how long the measures would be prolonged.center_img Italy ordered the army to move bodies from a northern town at the center of the coronavirus outbreak where funeral services have been overwhelmed as the government prepared to prolong emergency lockdown measures across the country.Video shot by local people in Bergamo, northeast of Milan, and shown on the website of the local newspaper Eco di Bergamo, showed a long column of military trucks driving through the streets overnight and removing coffins from the town’s cemetery.An army spokesman confirmed on Thursday that 15 trucks and 50 soldiers had been deployed to move bodies to neighboring provinces. Earlier local authorities in Bergamo had appealed for help with cremations after they had overwhelmed its crematorium.last_img read more

Magpies are well-prepared – Monk

first_imgSwansea manager Garry Monk feels Newcastle are already benefiting from Steve McClaren’s early-summer appointment. Monk has never met McClaren, let alone come up against a side managed by the former England boss, but he says he has prepared himself for a tough tactical examination ahead of Newcastle’s visit to the Liberty Stadium on Saturday. Both sides drew their opening Barclays Premier League games – Swansea holding champions Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and Newcastle also sharing four goals against Southampton – and Monk said it is clear that McClaren is already making his mark at St James’ Park having brought G eorginio Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba to Tyneside. “We’ve just played well in those games,” Monk said. “There’s no given right to win any game and I don’t look at those statistics, I just look at it is an individual match. “We’ve done well in those games in the past but it’s a new game, a new season, a new team and a new manager for them. “They will have a different approach so we have to treat it as an individual game on that merit.” Monk is expecting a quiet end to the transfer window for Swansea having signed strikers Andre Ayew and Eder, defender Franck Tabanou and goalkeeper Kristoffer Nordfeldt earlier in the summer. But he echoed the thoughts of a growing number of managers – Jose Mourinho and Roberto Martinez among them – who have criticised the summer transfer window’s closing date almost a month into the campaign. “You have the summer to prepare and if you get that preparation right you should get players in before the first game of the season,” Monk said. “That’s where the cut-off point should be, on that Friday night before the season starts. “Then it should reopen in January. I think it’s ludicrous it goes into the season – just stupidity.” “They’ve made that change early and he (McClaren) has had a summer to prepare,” Monk said. “Newcastle have always been a big club and attract good players but they’ve added quality this summer. “The manager will have a new way of working I’m sure and it’s a fresh start for those players. “I think you saw that in pre-season and in the performance against Southampton so we’re expecting a really tough game. “Steve has been a national manager and coached at the top level as well so you’d expect him to be tactically clever and be able to manipulate the game. “It will be interesting to see how he reacts to certain situations in the game, how he changes it if it’s going good or bad for them and then how you react to that.” Swansea have a better record against Newcastle than any other team since being promoted to the Premier League four years ago. The Welsh club have won five of their eight meetings with only one defeat, but Monk insists he does not put any store in the fixture’s recent history. Press Associationlast_img read more

Saints DT David Onyemata arrested on charges of possession

first_imgThe report noted that police searched his apartment Jan. 29 and found marijuana, cannabis oil, marijuana edibles and hemp powder, though Onyemata “was cooperative” with authorities and received a summons to appear in court at a later time.Oneymata, 26, was selected by New Orleans in the fourth round of the 2016 draft and is entering the final year of his rookie contract. The Nigeria native logged 4.5 sacks and 35 tackles after appearing in all 16 regular-season games and two playoff games. Related News He is the second Saints player to find himself in trouble at the end of the season, as cornerback P.J. Williams was arrested on charges of drunk and careless driving on Jan. 23. Saints fans will receive free Jeni’s Ice Cream on Super Bowl Sunday after Sean Payton’s commentscenter_img The Saints’ woes haven’t stopped since their infamous NFC championship loss.Accoring to the New Orleans Advocate, which cited the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office, third-year defensive tackle David Onyemata was given a misdemeanor citation that accuses him of possessing marijuana in his apartment.last_img read more

Wellington girls win season opening tennis tournament for 1st time since 2012

first_imgSumner Newscow report — The Wellington girls tennis team were victors of a very competitive season opening tennis tournament at Sellers Park. Take a look at these team scores:Wellington   16Buhler   15Goddard Eisenhower  15Conway Springs   14.It doesn’t get much closer than that.In No. 2 singles, player Madison Lewellen led the way going 3-0 on the day – good for first place.  Lewellen only gave up three games on the day.  “I think Madison surprised herself a little bit,” said Brian Aufdengarten, Wellington High School girls tennis coach. “Her experience showed today.”  Newcomers Lauryn Snipes and Avery Rusk finished second at No. 2 doubles losing only one match to Goddard Eisenhower 8-6.  ‘These two will get better,” Aufdengarten said. “They haven’t even picked a racquet up in two or three years.” Abby Lowe played No. 1 singles and did very well, placing third.  ‘Her first opponent was a 5a state qualifier from last year and she lost 8-1,” Aufdengarten said.Lowe bounced back and beat Buhler 8-4, before losing a close match 8-6 to Ebenkamp from Conway Springs, who placed 12th at state. “Abby did well and battled hard for her first meet of the year,” Aufdengarten said. The No. 1 doubles team of Mekenna Adams and Kylie Aufdengarten took third also.  They beat Goddard Eisenhower, then lost to a good Buhler team.  “Nachtigal from Buhler hasn’t finished out of the top four in the past three years and was a state champ in 2014,” Aufdengarten said. In their final match they lost to Koch and Bellar from Conway Springs 8-5.  “They wanted that one back,” Aufdengarten said. “They didn’t play consistent and was tied 5-5 before dropping last three games.  Bellar placed sixth at state in singles and Koch finished third in doubles last season.”Aufdengarten continued: I’m excited to win the tournament, everyone did their job, every match counted.  We  haven’t won this tournament outright since 2012, so this was a nice surprise, with some good teams here.last_img read more