Struggling Australian newswire turns to crowdfunding

first_imgTopics : News Corp then launched NCA, hiring a number of journalists, including several former AAP staff, to provide coverage to the company’s many newsrooms of topics previously supplied by the national newswire.The Guardian reported Monday that News Corp planned to offer NCA content to other Australian news organizations once a non-compete clause with AAP expires at the end of this year.Facing the prospect of that competition from its former owner, AAP is aiming to raise Aus$500,000 (US$364,000) through the fundraising campaign, which had attracted several thousand dollars in donations shortly after launching.”As our media customers struggle in the toughest advertising market in modern history and as the government struggles to find a way to support media competition and diversity, we are reaching out to all Australians for their help,” Cowdroy said.The newswire cut about half of its staff before relaunching what it previously said would be a slimmed-down “sustainable” operation.Smaller local publishers rely on its national coverage of news, sport and politics to bolster their own content. “The well-funded move threatens AAP’s unique role, supplying independent content” to smaller Australian publishers, she said in a statement. Cowdroy added the move would “create further disruption to AAP, and in turn the media market more generally, at a time when the industry is on its knees”. AAP was relaunched in early August by a philanthropist-led consortium just months after staff were told the company would shutter as challenges in the media sector were exacerbated by the economic fallout of the coronavirus pandemic.In March, News Corp and broadcasting and newspaper group Nine Entertainment pulled their support for AAP in a surprise decision that fuelled fears of further concentration of an Australian media landscape already dominated by a handful of companies.center_img The Australian Associated Press launched a crowdfunding campaign Monday as the newswire struggles with financial pressures just a month after it was sold off and relaunched as a non-profit.CEO Emma Cowdroy said AAP was facing aggressive competition from a new rival, NCA, created by News Corp after the Rupert Murdoch-owned media giant backed out of its role as the leading shareholder in the national newswire.She said News Corp now intends to “rapidly re-enter the commercial sector” with NCA.last_img read more

Mancini hints at Sinclair exit

first_imgManchester City boss Roberto Mancini has hinted that winger Scott Sinclair’s future could lie away from the Etihad Stadium. “It is my fault, not his fault. A young player like Scott who is a good player deserves to play always. For him, it was a really difficult year this year.” Sinclair has been linked with a return to Swansea ahead of City’s Barclays Premier League trip to the Liberty Stadium this weekend. Mancini accepts he has not given the Great Britain Olympic player much opportunity and could understand if he was frustrated. When asked if that might mean Sinclair deserves to play somewhere else, Mancini, speaking at his regular press conference, said: “Scott is young and he has good quality but this year was difficult for him. “I think it is better if he can have another solution. If he stays here, maybe, everything can change but I can understand his frustration in this moment because he didn’t play a lot of games. “For me, he is a good player. We have one team. For him, it was difficult. “I repeat – he did everything well, he worked well, he is a good guy, he deserves to play. I can understand when one player can’t play often it is difficult.” The 24-year-old has started just three games for City since his £6.2million move from Swansea last August. “This situation with Sinclair is difficult because I didn’t give him a lot of chances to play. He is very unlucky,” Mancini said. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Vantiv & Worldpay combine to form Trillion Dollar Baby

first_img Related Articles Share StumbleUpon IGT moves to restructure board responsibilities May 18, 2020 Share Charles DruckerThe global payments sector is set to be shaken up, as the UK High Court has allowed New York-listed payment processor Vantiv to combine with FTSE100 payments group Worldpay Plc.Last August, leading US payment systems provider Vantiv put forward a £9.3 billion offer to merge with Worldpay, seeking to form the outright leader in servicing global payments for in-store and digital transactions.The merger will see the creation of new Fortune 500 enterprise Worldpay Inc, as analysts place an initial pro-forma corporate value of $31 billion.In its deal prospectus, Vantiv governance outlines that the combination will form the global leader for retail and digital payments, servicing circa +$1.5 trillion in transaction volume, supporting operations in 146 countries and with the potential to service 126 different currencies.Moving forward, the leadership of the enlarged Worldpay Inc, will be co-shared by Charles Drucker CEO of Vantiv and Philip Jansen CEO of Worldpay Plc acting as Co-Chief Executives. The merger confirmation sees Drucker further appointed Group Executive Chairman.“Our combination is transformative for our colleagues, customers and the worldwide payments industry,” said Charles Drucker, executive chairman and co-CEO of Worldpay, Inc.“We would not be here without the enthusiasm, dedication and hard work of all our people, who will continue to forge the future of payments. By combining the expertise of our teams, we will provide further value to our customers, helping them prosper in the fast-changing and complex digital economy.”In preparation for the merger announcement, both Vantiv and Worldpay shares have been suspended from trading on the New York and London Stock Exchanges. IGT sanctions capped $300m senior debt note sale June 9, 2020 Jason Ader – No Boogeyman… Activism will play a vital part in reshaping gambling August 20, 2020 Submitlast_img read more

FIFPro asks to return to football “when it is safe, not in two or four weeks”

first_imgHowever, the union representative considered “a good decision” to give priority to ending, if possible, national competitions, because they are “a financial pillar” and because they provide “social cohesion”, although he recalled that for many soccer players Feminine playing with your national teams contributes a good part of their income.In a debate with representatives of the ECA club association and the European Leagues, the FIFPro general secretary asked “to think about how to rebuild football” in the long term.“It will be different, probably smaller from an economic perspective, but it does not have to be weaker. Hopefully it will be more egalitarian, fairer and more economically sustainable, because we have seen it is that the economic model of our sector is not capable of working with crises like the one we’ve been through, “he reflected.The Secretary General of the World Players Union participated in this Soccerex debate by videoconference with the President of the European Soccer Leagues, Lars-Christer Olsson; the general secretary of the European Association of Clubs (ECA), Michele Centenaro; and the CEO of the Sport Integrity Global Alliance, Emanuel Macedo de Medeiros. The general secretary of the FIFPro world players union, Jonas Baer-Hoffman, defended that football should be played “when it is really safe” and not “in two or four weeks”, since if the return is anticipated and in danger to some player “soccer will be closed for a longer time”.“The worst that can happen is that someone comes back soon, has to stop because it creates a danger for the players, offers a bad example for society and then it will be closed for a longer time. That is why it is crucial that we work together and have the advice of experts to come back when it’s really safe, not in two or four weeks. We have to think about a longer timeframe, “he said in a video conference debate organized by Soccerex.The players’ union executive explained that footballers are concerned both about their risk of infection and about being “a bad influence on society” if they return to the activity prematurely, and that they too are affected by the economic problems that It leads to the suspension of the season due to the coronavirus pandemic.“Many players we represent charge 3,000 or 4,000 euros, for them losing two payouts is as important as for anyone,” said Baer-Hoffman, who added that anxiety cases “have doubled” among professional soccer players, as he It has happened to many people because of confinement.last_img read more