New Delhi : World Cup returnees Fabian Allen, Nicholas Pooran and Oshane Thomas have been handed West Indies central contracts for the first time while seven players have been given all-format contracts.The number of all-format contracts for the men has now increased from four to seven with Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer and Keemo Paul joining those in the Test and ODI formats — captain Jason Holder, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph and Kemar Roach — on the list.In total, 19 men have been retained for the upcoming contract year which runs from July 1 this year to June 30 next year including first-timers Allen, Pooran and Thomas who were part of the West Indies team which finished ninth out of 10 teams in the World Cup.Meanwhile, 15 women an increase of three have also earned central contracts including veteran all-rounder Stacy-Ann King, fellow left-hander Kycia Knight and newcomers Shabika Gajnabi, Shawnisha Hector, Chinelle Henry, Natasha McLean and Karishma Ramharack.Cricket West Indies (CWI) policy allows up to 22 contracts to be offered each contract year to men’s players, so the selection panel may decide to offer additional central contracts throughout the year.CWI director of cricket Jimmy Adams said verbal offers had been made to all players, and contracts will be issued in the next few weeks, as soon as the board has concluded a new four-year Memorandum of Understanding with the West Indies Players Association.This is the third year that CWI will award central contracts to West Indies men under three different categories.WEST INDIES MEN CENTRALLY-CONTRACTED PLAYERS 2019-20:All-Format Contracts:Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer, Jason Holder, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Keemo Paul, Kemar RoachRed-Ball Contracts: Kraigg Brathwaite, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Jomel WarricanWhite-Ball Contracts: Fabian Allen, Carlos Brathwaite, Sheldon Cottrell, Nicholas Pooran, Rovman Powell, Oshane Thomas. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
RAJKOT, India (AP):Teenager Haseeb Hameed hit his maiden Test fifty yesterday as the first Test between India and England in Rajkot appeared to be heading for a draw.The 19-year-old Hameed smashed five fours and his first Test six to reach 62 not out with England at 114-0 in their second innings at stumps on day four. Alastair Cook was unbeaten on 46.England have a 163-run lead after earlier dismissing India for 488, offering the tourists a slim chance of victory if they try to score quickly today.Hameed is the third youngest English batsman to hit a Test fifty. It was the first half-century by an English teenager since Dennis Compton in 1937.”He has worked hard in the nets and is a great talent. He has a good head on his shoulders and he showed that today,” teammate Adil Rashid said. “Hopefully he can carry on tomorrow.”Ravindra Jadeja (0-33) shared the new ball with Mohammed Shami (0-12), but the ploy didn’t work. Ravichandran Ashwin (0-32) had a leg – before – wicket shout reviewed against Hameed.Earlier, helped by Rashid’s 4-114, England got a first-innings lead of 49 runs. After lunch, Moeen Ali (2-85) and Rashid took two wickets each to wrap up the Indian lower order.caught behindRashid dismissed Wriddhiman Saha, caught behind for 35 runs, and Ravindra Jadeja (12), who was caught at short leg. Saha put on 64 runs for the seventh wicket with Ashwin.This was the crucial partnership of the day, as it allowed India to eat up some time after they had saved the follow on.Ashwin completed his seventh Test half-century off 111 balls, and put on 29 runs for the 10th wicket with Shami, who was dropped by Cook off Stuart Broad (1-78).India wobbled in the morning after starting from its overnight 319-4. They lost Ajinkya Rahane (13) and Virat Kohli (40) in the space of 17 balls.Rahane was bowled off Zafar Ansari (2-77), while Kohli stepped on to his stumps pulling Rashid, and was out hit wicket.